Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACCESS VIOLATION!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Game Hacking Dojo
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: ACCESS VIOLATION!! Reply with quote

I am really sorry to talk about this, however, it always happens to me and I am really sick of it so I have to report it.

Can we at least make a way around the error so it doesn't steal focus, like using CreateWindow instead of MessageBox?

I can not save my work and it is something that, happens when I leave tracer windows open for a while and close them. I think that, has something to do with the count of the breakpoints not being completed.

I noticed something also annoying in CE is that whenever Lua Engine gives an error it spams the hell of out of the error cannot one time be enough?

Furthermore, this error will keep going and stop popping up at some point but I cannot do anything but close CE and the game as well, because of the running script.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 222006.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.76 KB
 Viewed:  721 Time(s)

Screenshot 2024-04-19 222006.png

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make it a non modal window, but it wouldn't fix your case as the message loop has bugged out here, so anything on the main thread/GUI has crashed, including the save button

anything else you did you do to cause this? Access gui controls from an async thread ? (e.g the ue4 dumper does this at least once and after that CE is in a unpredictable state)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Game Hacking Dojo
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use anything like that. All I do usually is just "break and trace", "what accesses this address" and "what addresses this instruction accesses".
Things like that. And 90% of the times it happens when I close the break and trace window/s after I'm done with them. I am thinking this has to do with the tracing steps that I specify at the beginning of the tracing. If the count is less than what's been specified it will keep waiting (supposedly until the flow of executing comes back). However, the tracer will not continue tracing and finish the specified steps until I open "What access this address" or "what addresses this instruction accesses"

Tell me what you think so I investigate accordingly
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember something like that happening years ago in an older version of CE. A break-and-trace triggers, some other breakpoints are set and presumably trigger too, and somehow CE gets confused and shit breaks. I'm not sure if that still happens in 7.5.

OP: are you using the latest version of CE, can you provide the steps to replicate this bug, and does this also happen on the CE tutorial?

Game Hacking Dojo
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using CE 7.5 (Original copy & self-compiled no difference) and previously 7.4 and had the same issue. I also have changed PCs during this period so it's not a hardware issue.

When I am working on something (the process doesn't matter) if I use break and trace it will definitely happen. But I think this happens when you go to a loop and specify higher steps for the tracer than needed and keep this window open once you make other traces later on the error will appear. I trying to always consume all the steps left by using a breakpoint on access which will let the tracer window continue tracing until the steps are finished.

That's of course one way of triggering this bug. But there are other ways as well. The question lies in how many hours you use CE in a single session, I might use it for about 12 hours and it happens to me no less than 2 times a day. INSANE

Tell me if you need more info. I could also record a video and show you highlights or maybe I get lucky and get it instantly.
Game Hacking Dojo
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how useful this can be:

I crashed two times in a row in a very short time this time. Both times I used "what addressed this instruction accesses" on the same instruction that is highly accessed (5000 TPS) and when I stopped it, it was fine but when I tried to close the window the "Access violation" box appeared in both of the times. Most of the time, when "Access violation" appears, it appears when I want to close windows.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 141337.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.04 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

Screenshot 2024-04-28 141337.png

Screenshot 2024-04-28 141332.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.55 KB
 Viewed:  199 Time(s)

Screenshot 2024-04-28 141332.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: