Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how does events work? how to optimize timer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunder_Bird
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: how does events work? how to optimize timer? Reply with quote

I'd like to know how events are so optimized, as far as I understand events are handled using a timer, I am maybe wrong, if so how do they work, how does the CPU know that an event has occured? there must be timer sitting there with a code which keeps checking if an event(for example OnButtonClick) is triggered. But unlike the timers which I write in LUA script, they dont eat CPU at all. so is there a different logic behind timers? if yes, can I use it instead of timers?
and I use timer with interval of 1ms(its my requirement) and it rekts CPU so is there a way to optimize timers, if yes I'd like to know.

this may be the wrong section for this question but kthx.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "event"? Like a button press?
Basic idea:
  1. The hardware (e.g. mouse) issues an interrupt signal to let the processor know something happened
  2. The kernel handles the interrupt, figures out what "event" it is (e.g. mouse click), and sends information about that event to the window manager (if relevant)
  3. The window manager figures out what window receives that event and sends it to the process responsible for that window
  4. The process then somehow handles it via whatever UI library it's using
Use Wikipedia for more information.

You didn't explain what you're doing in much detail. Post the OnTimer function here.

ByTransient
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of the CE reading events is the "autorun" folder thread.
On the other hand; I think Lua and a lot of scripting triggers come from Windows' built-in reading code.

If the code reading and execution scheduler is on Windows, it's likely that you'll see the CPU differently anyway.

Windows can hide this spike in its own timer code or reflect it as a CPU to the program you're running.

On the other hand, for CPU optimization in CE (Lua), you can wrap "collectgarbage('collect')" in the scheduler code.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

createTimer uses windows timers. their accuracy isn't that high, a 1 ms timer will run about as often as a 10 ms timer)

you can use a thread for more controlled timings (though still slightly bottlenecked)
e.g
Code:

function createFasterTimer(interval,callback)
  local controller={}
  if type(callback)~='function' then error('parameter 2 of createFasterTimer must be a function') end

controller.Enabled=true
  createThread(function()
    while controller.Enabled do
      sleep(interval)
      synchronize(callback)
    end
  end)

return controller
end

local counter=0
ft=createFasterTimer(1,function()
  counter=counter+1
  print("tick "..counter)
end)

createTimer(1000,function()
  ft.Enabled=false
  ft=nil
  print("done")
end)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Thunder_Bird
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
What do you mean by "event"? Like a button press?
Basic idea:
  1. The hardware (e.g. mouse) issues an interrupt signal to let the processor know something happened
  2. The kernel handles the interrupt, figures out what "event" it is (e.g. mouse click), and sends information about that event to the window manager (if relevant)
  3. The window manager figures out what window receives that event and sends it to the process responsible for that window
  4. The process then somehow handles it via whatever UI library it's using
Use Wikipedia for more information.

You didn't explain what you're doing in much detail. Post the OnTimer function here.

No, im not talking about hardware events, im taking about GUI objects event, like OnButtonClick events etc, maybe what im saying doesnt make sense so sorry if you don't understand xd and thanks .

ByTransient wrote:
An example of the CE reading events is the "autorun" folder thread.
On the other hand; I think Lua and a lot of scripting triggers come from Windows' built-in reading code.

If the code reading and execution scheduler is on Windows, it's likely that you'll see the CPU differently anyway.

Windows can hide this spike in its own timer code or reflect it as a CPU to the program you're running.

On the other hand, for CPU optimization in CE (Lua), you can wrap "collectgarbage('collect')" in the scheduler code.

Thanks.

Dark Byte wrote:
createTimer uses windows timers. their accuracy isn't that high, a 1 ms timer will run about as often as a 10 ms timer)

you can use a thread for more controlled timings (though still slightly bottlenecked)
e.g
Code:

function createFasterTimer(interval,callback)
  local controller={}
  if type(callback)~='function' then error('parameter 2 of createFasterTimer must be a function') end

controller.Enabled=true
  createThread(function()
    while controller.Enabled do
      sleep(interval)
      synchronize(callback)
    end
  end)

return controller
end

local counter=0
ft=createFasterTimer(1,function()
  counter=counter+1
  print("tick "..counter)
end)

createTimer(1000,function()
  ft.Enabled=false
  ft=nil
  print("done")
end)

This helped, Thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: