Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer Rescan Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejay1984
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Pointer Rescan Help Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to do a pointer rescan for an address in which the value is a byte type. When I try to rescan for the new address nothing comes up. On the first scan I unchecked "Addresses must be 32-bit aligned" and "compressed pointer scan file" for any results to show up.

Any idea on how to get results for the pointer rescan?

Thanks
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what you are doing, but you can try re-scanning by address which requires finding the new address or by value. (picking the wrong address to pointer scan can result such problem)

Ejay1984 wrote:
On the first scan I unchecked "Addresses must be 32-bit aligned"

you really dont need this (sometimes its necessary to uncheck it for x64 processes) most modern games / compilers will align data by 4-byte which is 32-bit.
but still this doesnt mean all data will be aligned by default, programmer can decide ...

Ejay1984 wrote:
"compressed pointer scan file" for any results to show up.

compressed pointer scan option is for reducing the file size on disk and it have nothing to do with showing up more results, the only thing is older ce version cant read compressed pointer scan file.
and you dont need this option unchecked unless you wanna pass the file to someone who really have an old ce version, and probably no one using old ce versions anymore.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
Ejay1984
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldCheatEngineUser wrote:
not sure what you are doing, but you can try re-scanning by address which requires finding the new address or by value. (picking the wrong address to pointer scan can result such problem)

Ejay1984 wrote:

you really dont need this (sometimes its necessary to uncheck it for x64 processes) most modern games / compilers will align data by 4-byte which is 32-bit.
but still this doesnt mean all data will be aligned by default, programmer can decide ...

Ejay1984 wrote:
"compressed pointer scan file" for any results to show up.

compressed pointer scan option is for reducing the file size on disk and it have nothing to do with showing up more results, the only thing is older ce version cant read compressed pointer scan file.
and you dont need this option unchecked unless you wanna pass the file to someone who really have an old ce version, and probably no one using old ce versions anymore.

I'm trying to do a pointer scan for temporary invincibility for the game Pharaoh Rebirth+ on steam but I don't get the right pointers when re-scanning. I think it's a Game Maker Studio game as the instruction for invincibility is being accessed by hundreds of other addresses.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejay1984 wrote:

That's untrue. Spellforce 3 is a shining example - it's modern and quite misaligned for an x64 compiler Wink

Anyway. back to the original question, things that come to mind:
- Are you sure it's a single byte?
- Are you sure it's the right value? (and not just a visual-only thing)
- Are you sure that the scan is deep enough? (depth and the distance)
This last one is typically the culprit. What settings are you using?
In simple games 6/1024 is good enough.
In complex games 9/4096 is good enough, but I've already seen a level 12 pointer once Wink

I found the fastest way to reduce the number of false positives is to quit the game and launch it again.
If you get no results, try going deeper.
But, again, if you are looking for the wrong value, you're wasting your time.
Ejay1984
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Ejay1984 wrote:

That's untrue. Spellforce 3 is a shining example - it's modern and quite misaligned for an x64 compiler Wink

Anyway. back to the original question, things that come to mind:
- Are you sure it's a single byte?
- Are you sure it's the right value? (and not just a visual-only thing)
- Are you sure that the scan is deep enough? (depth and the distance)
This last one is typically the culprit. What settings are you using?
In simple games 6/1024 is good enough.
In complex games 9/4096 is good enough, but I've already seen a level 12 pointer once Wink

I found the fastest way to reduce the number of false positives is to quit the game and launch it again.
If you get no results, try going deeper.
But, again, if you are looking for the wrong value, you're wasting your time.

It's a single byte and the value is correct but I haven't tried amending the scan settings as suggested. I'll give it a go. Cheers
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that the deeper you go, the more time, resources (CPU, memory, storage space) and false positives.

I'd try more levels first with a fairly narrow (1024 or 2048) width.
That's 0x400 and 0x800 respectively - I have not really seen vital pointers beyond those ranges, except highly abstracted games like XCOM2.

Try to find the structure's base and use those offsets (the struct's base and the byte's offset) in the scan to reduce the number of false positives. (this will be more or less required as you go deeper)

If you don't find pointers to the byte value, see if there is any other value in the same struct that may have a pointer. E.g. health instead of god mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: