Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10 and APIPA IP address

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Windows 10 and APIPA IP address Reply with quote

So a customer had a computer connected directly to a scale indicator, with a "cross over" cable. This was hit in a lightning storm, and a new computer was brought in with windows 10 installed. I set up a static IP on the computer that's the same IP as on the scale indicator (same as with old computer that used WIN 95). This works until the computer is restarted, as windows detects the IP as in use and uses the "autoconfiguration IPv4" instead of the static address. After some googling I only found one post, showing that to disable this I have to change a registry setting like so:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\"adapter name goes here"]
"IPAutoconfigurationEnabled"=dword:00000000

My question is, are "cross over" connections dead for windows; and is there a more user friendly way to do this, as some people don't like it when a registry setting is changed manually.

EDIT:
Basically my customers know I hack video games, and seem to think that the movies "Hackers" and "Swordfish" is how things really work; they trust me but are still leery when I talk about stuff they don't know or understand. So I just want a way that will be less "scary" for them.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give a .reg file they have to doubleclick. Or write a program with a fancy gui that has a checkbox : 'disable auto config' or better 'fix windows'

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already thinking about the REG file, but now I want to make that GUI just for the "Fix Windows" part.
Thanks DB, you give the best advice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assigning the computer and the scale to the same IP seems like the problem in my opinion, I've never heard of any network attached device being told to use the same IP as the computer its connected to, outside of bridging a connection in some manner.

Are you certain the device is supposed to be configured that way and not just setup to be within the same networking submask? If the network connection is strictly for the connection between the computer and scale only and will never be used elsewhere, you can setup static IPs on a private network subnet (ie. 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x etc.) for both the PC and scale. (For example, the computer would be 10.0.0.1, the scale would be 10.0.0.2.) If the system is connected to another means such as wifi or a 2nd network card, be sure to not use a mask of the other connections range. Such as if its connected to a router, don't use the routers address range.

As for cross-over cabling, on newer hardware and Windows versions, there is no need for any special cable setup to connect, for example, two computers directly together anymore. Most gigabit hardware will support any type of cable now. And I believe Windows itself has handling for it at a driver level too for older hardware.

Depending on the scales age though there may be a requirement to still use one due to that, but not sure.

TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:

The scale head is a Mettler Toledo JagXtreme, made in the 70s - 80s but it's hardware is form the 60s - 70s. The thing with this setup is there's no router, or gateway, but I think the submask is used (not sure on that). Just the computer and the scale head, and one cat-5 with "crossover" wiring. And I can get them to communicate, but when the IP is set on the scale head and the computer is restarted, then windows detects the assigned static IP as being in use and changes to the "autoconfiguration" IP. So basically after a restart they no longer communicate. And just shutting down the scale head while firing up the computer would work except it uses volatile memory, so people freak out if it needs to be shutdown.

I've seen this type of crossover connection a few times, for what I understand it's crazy old and got phased out very quickly (like in the 60s I think). It just talks to itself basically; instead of localhost as an internal loopback, the devices use their IPs like it's a loopback but it's connected to a different device instead. Really screwy if you ask me, but some (odd) older stuff uses it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: