Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"mov" command copies into address not value?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DodgeWolfy
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: "mov" command copies into address not value? Reply with quote

Ok, so i am doing a one hit kill script for TW3 and have been trying many different methods for about 2 hours now and nothing works, because when you run a compare between current health of the player and the value of the instruction [rax+rcx*4] it doesn't work because your ACTUAL health is a tiny bit higher (or lower) due to regeneration or something else i can't be bothered to fix right now, so i decided to do it the Really lazy way - Just moving my max HP value into the current HP right after running the code that decreases enemy health, effectively eliminating the need for a filter or comparison between the player and npcs.

Now to the topic at hand, for some reason while doing this i couldn't actually move the VALUE i wanted to where i wanted it to move, and decided to allocate a temporary value and found something strange i don't understand

Code:

[ENABLE]
aobscanmodule(OHK,witcher3.exe,F3 0F 11 34 88 83 FB)
alloc(newmem,1024,"witcher3.exe"+E3C4F3)
registersymbol(OHK)

label(code)
label(return)

alloc(var,8)  //temporary value for testing
registersymbol(var)

newmem:
code:
  movss [rax+rcx*4],xmm6 //original code that writes enemy AND player values like health, stamina, toxicity
  cmp [rax+rcx*4],(Float)101 //compare if health is already decreased so it doesn't freeze their hp
  jle return
  mov [rax+rcx*4],(Float)101 //decrease enemy health to 101 points
  //(101 for convenience so it ignores stamina and toxicity as their values are 0-100)
  mov [var],(Float)200 //This is the problem..
  jmp return

OHK:
  jmp newmem

return:
[DISABLE]
OHK:
  db F3 0F 11 34 88

unregistersymbol(OHK)
dealloc(newmem)

unregistersymbol(var)
dealloc(var)

The problem: i have no clue why the pointed out piece of code moves 200 into the Address of "[var]" rather than the value so when i add "[var]" as an address it pops up as "43480000" and a value of 0, meaning the mov command put the float of 200 into the address rather than the value, not sure if i explained the problem correctly. How would i move the float of 200 into the VALUE of [var].

On the other hand if i use "var" as an address everything is correct and i get the result i want, however my health value is in [].

To elaborate here's how my code looks when it's actually made to be useful rather than testing out a variable.
Code:

[ENABLE]
aobscanmodule(OHK,witcher3.exe,F3 0F 11 34 88 83 FB)
alloc(newmem,1024,"witcher3.exe"+E3C4F3)
registersymbol(OHK)

label(code)
label(return)

newmem:
code:
  movss [rax+rcx*4],xmm6
  cmp [rax+rcx*4],(Float)101
  jle return
  mov [rax+rcx*4],(Float)101
  push rdx
  mov rdx,[player_base+4]
  mov [player_base],rdx
  pop rdx
  jmp return

//player_base  -  current hp
//player_base+4  -  max hp
//both are custom symbols obviously

OHK:
  jmp newmem

return:
[DISABLE]
OHK:
  db F3 0F 11 34 88

unregistersymbol(OHK)
dealloc(newmem)
FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is (maybe just a confusion over var being an address and [var] being the value at that address) but... if you already have the player's address, why not just compare the addresses?

Code:
push rdx
push rbx
lea rdx, [player_base+4] // player cur hp
lea rbx, [rax+rcx*4]
cmp rbx, rdx
pop rbx
pop rdx
// maybe just cmp rax, player_base but without knowing what rcx is...
je return // player
// else enemy
mov [rax+rcx*4], 0 // kill or whatever
jmp return

DodgeWolfy
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeER wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what the problem is (maybe just a confusion over var being an address and [var] being the value at that address) but... if you already have the player's address, why not just compare the addresses?

Code:
push rdx
push rbx
lea rdx, [player_base+4] // player cur hp
lea rbx, [rax+rcx*4]
cmp rbx, rdx
pop rbx
pop rdx
// maybe just cmp rax, player_base but without knowing what rcx is...
je return // player
// else enemy
mov [rax+rcx*4], 0 // kill or whatever
jmp return

Well, i guess coding when you haven't slept in 30 hours doesn't help, i completely forgot i can just use lea to compare ADDRESSES not the values and make the filtering a dozen times easier... and waaaay less complicated previously i was using a custom symbol and something somewhere was messing up and i just couldn't compare to the value, also at some point the pop command didn't work in some context and was CTDing the game etc. Laughing Laughing Embarassed

Just to get back at you about the problem it's shown in this image, the bottom 2 addresses, this is what happens when i do
Code:
mov [var],(Float)200

The result is the first address you see there is var which is how it should look, instead of like the bottom which is [var].

I needed this because i tried using
Code:
 mov [player_base],(Float)10000

This is the image, couldn't get the img tag to work https://prnt.sc/ke32w1

Regardless, the code you have provided works better and is MUCH simpler, thank you, apologies for the confusion.
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0x43480000 == (float)200.
and with a CE memory record's address; if you use "var" then the MR's addess is, the address of the "var" symbol; but if you use "[var]" then the MR's addess is, the value at the address, of the "var" symbol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, i guess coding when you haven't slept in 30 hours doesn't help
Not in my experience, no Laughing Glad to be of help Smile

and yeah as Tim explained var is the address, [var] is the value/address stored at var, it's an alternative pointer syntax. And yes, that does even work in AA for more complicated ones eg. [[[game.exe+34]+4]+C] however it makes it into a constant address by reading the path once when the script is enabled (so if the address changes in game it'll crash, because the original address hardcoded into the assembly isn't valid anymore).

So in AA mov [var],... means move ... into the value at address var, and in the address list you'd want to give var for the address not [var] which means the value (aka address/pointer in this context) at var.

Hope that clears up the confusion, it's a fairly important thing to understand when you do start creating your own variables that you want accessible outside the script Smile

DodgeWolfy
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeER wrote:

So in AA mov [var],... means move ... into the value at address var, and in the address list you'd want to give var for the address not [var] which means the value (aka address/pointer in this context) at var.

Hope that clears up the confusion, it's a fairly important thing to understand when you do start creating your own variables that you want accessible outside the script Smile

Yeah i understand now, one last thing though, how would i then copy a value into the value instead of the address for example

Code:
mov [player_base],(Float)1000 //[player_base] being my HP value

This does nothing, even though in all games i've hacked up until now it's worked just fine, in this it only tries to replace the address of player_base as i said before, so how would i make it move into the value. And i'm saying "tries" because the address of player_base is being constantly updated by my "Get Witcher Stats" script which is this basically

Code:
code:
  mov ecx,[rax+rdx*4] //This instruction Accesses the player HP constantly

push rcx
  lea rcx,[rax+rdx*4]

//Filter 1
  cmp [rcx+8],#0
  jne pre_return
//Filter 2
  cmp [rcx+10],(Float)100
  jne pre_return
//Filter 3
  cmp [rcx+14],#2
  jne pre_return

mov [player_base],rcx
  jmp pre_return

pre_return:
  pop rcx
  mov [rsi],ecx //this here is continuation of the original code
  jmp return

But when i try doing this:
Code:
mov player_base,(Float)1000

The assembler throws out an error saying it can't be compiled and the script simply doesn't start.

Again, thank you for everything
FreeER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
This does nothing, even though in all games i've hacked up until now it's worked just fine
Assuming player_base is the address of your HP, not a pointer, that is exactly how you'd do it and if it doesn't work you have to look at other things (like maybe some code below the hook overwrites it, or it wasn't set properly etc.).

If it's a pointer (like with an injection copy) then you'd do something like
Code:
mov rax, [player_base] // read address from pointer into rax
mov [rax], (float)1000 // write to value at address

Code:
tries to replace an address with a float value which doesn't make sense because you can't replace addresses Smile It's like saying mov 5, 3 or mov true, false Smile
DodgeWolfy
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeER wrote:
Quote:
Code:
This does nothing, even though in all games i've hacked up until now it's worked just fine
Assuming player_base is the address of your HP, not a pointer, that is exactly how you'd do it and if it doesn't work you have to look at other things (like maybe some code below the hook overwrites it, or it wasn't set properly etc.).

If it's a pointer (like with an injection copy) then you'd do something like
Code:
mov rax, [player_base] // read address from pointer into rax
mov [rax], (float)1000 // write to value at address

Code:
tries to replace an address with a float value which doesn't make sense because you can't replace addresses Smile It's like saying mov 5, 3 or mov true, false Smile

Ah, now it makes sense, because the variable "player_base" is storing my HP address in [player_base] so moving a float of 1000 would not work because it tries to replace the address, because [player_base] is an address that i'm using not the actual value.

Thanks again for helping me out and clearing things up for me! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: