Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CE Challenge: Finding a signed vector of constant length?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marsinspace
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: CE Challenge: Finding a signed vector of constant length? Reply with quote

The game keeps track of relationship between PC and 8 nearby NPCs, using a number from -100 to +100 representing hatred all the way to love. Various decisions by the player will result in a subset of these relationships changing by a number of points. Examples would be:

+30 +15 0 -5 -3 +10 +15 (may not be adjacent, but this is a possible sequence)
+50 +15 0 -5 -3 +5 +15 (player makes a decision that NPC #1 likes, increasing their relation by 20 points to +50, but NPC #7 is jealous, reducing their relation by 5 points to +5)

I think you get the idea...

The game provides data on both the value of these relationships (e.g. Eastown = +35), as well as result of decisions (Eastown is mad, lowered by 4).

I've tried a search using each individual value as a scan tab, looking for bytes, 2 bytes, 4 bytes, etc.. No luck.

Then I tried a more general approach, searching for "All" types and noting "changed"/"unchanged". No luck. (and "increased"/"decreased" didn't work either).

I began to think it was stored in a larger structure, so searched for one double-length field that changed or stayed the same. No luck.

I'm now out of ideas, because it would seem the only remaining possibility is that the game is moving this data, or it is non-persistent. But that conflicts directly with the game results, where these values are persistent from turn to turn.

Is this where a Grouped scan would help? The docs/explanation on it are sparse, but it appears to search for sequences.

Has anyone looked for something like this before and had any luck?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relationship status is most likely stored for each npc individually

so find the npc and then find the relationship status field with the npc start as base

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
marsinspace
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
relationship status is most likely stored for each npc individually

so find the npc and then find the relationship status field with the npc start as base

Ah, my bad. In my effort to obfuscate the game, I introduced PC/NPC language that may have introduced inapplicable metaphors.

These really aren't "NPCs" in the RPG sense. Basically, the player is making strategic decisions in a world-building context, but they must also manage relationships with a set of 8 people. At any time, the player can click "Interactions", and a small screen with 8 photos comes up.

Each of these people has a disposition toward the player marked by a number from -100 to +100, which is shown next to the person.

A game event may occur, like "So and so has moved 300 units of gold to the North. Aybee is quite happy (+15), but Ceedee is wary (-3).

What I've been doing is searching for individual values, as well as vectors, with no luck. I'm now thinking they are packed into a larger field, so am trying "changed" searches on doubles.

I don't know if Groupscan is a tool worth using here, because I'm not quite sure what it does. For example, watching a tutorial on Groupscan and another on using multiple Tabs, they seem to be applicable to the same situation.

Now that I think of it.... this might be something cobble-able in an AOBscan, but just not the typical way aobscan is used.

Still stuck! Smile.
grasmanek94
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which game is it? I want to try this out myself then. In my experience in most games it should be really simple.
marsinspace
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grasmanek94 wrote:
So which game is it? I want to try this out myself then. In my experience in most games it should be really simple.

I tried to PM you the game info, but it says I can’t PM yet. If you PM me I can reply with the details. It isn’t a super secret or multiplayer game, but just a very small dev team that could patch in anti cheat code if their game came up in a CE search.

I might make more use of the debugger, and examine every address accessed immediately after a value is changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: