Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deattaching Debugger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentStorm
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Deattaching Debugger Reply with quote

Is there any way to detach CE's debugger without having to close CE altogether?

(There seems to be no menu item or even RMB context menu item to do this, but I'm hoping maybe there's an undocumented keyboard shortcut or something, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place, or whatever. Smile)
Psy
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-select the process in the process-picker list. Providing certain option are not enabled in the config (like process watcher), it will attempt to detach. It does this as it thinks you are moving to a new process. Always works well for me.

~Psych
SilentStorm
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I use CE to "find stuff," but I prefer using Visual Studio for debugging and tracing through the assembly, and it's been slightly annoying having to close CE and lose my "session" every time I wanted to dabble with the assembly for a bit.
Psy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, VS for debugging, thats nasty (in my opinion). Make sure the JIT debugging is disabled in its prefs and then use something like OllyDBG for debugging. Its usermode, but it works great. I use it for most of my debugging and tracing.

~Psych
SilentStorm
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Psych] wrote:
Ooo, VS for debugging, thats nasty (in my opinion).

Nah, I've been using Visual Studio since even before it was called Visual Studio. Razz (I'm dating myself here, I know. Wink) And with all the custom macros, scripts, and add-ons I have written for it over the years, there's pretty much nothing I can't do with it.

And now with the (relatively) new Visual Studio Extensibility classes (search MSDN for "Debugger Visualizer" since I'm not allowed to post a direct link), the possibilities are endless now. Cool Fun stuff!

With all that aside, though, disregarding everything else, with Visual Studio, I can easily customize trace messages which makes analyzing code streams one-hundred times more efficient and stream-lined.
Psy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment. Whatever works for ya Wink
Did the detaching work for you?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if all you do is using "find what accesses/writes" and don't even bother with the ce debugger, try the kernel debug option. That one won't even attach the windows debugger to the process, so you can just attach visual studio and still use ce.

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Psy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I do most of the time with Olly and CE. Works great Wink
SilentStorm
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Psych] wrote:

Yes and no. It detached the debugger enabling me to attach VS, but the addresses/data in the CE's address window became undefined as far as CE was concerned even though the addresses were still valid. (CE just showed "??" for the values.) (Note: I imagine this is by design. Monitoring a "new" process invalidates the current addresses for the "old" process.)

Dark Byte wrote:
Also, if all you do is using "find what accesses/writes" and don't even bother with the ce debugger, try the kernel debug option. That one won't even attach the windows debugger to the process, so you can just attach visual studio and still use ce.

Good idea! I'll check it out as that sounds like the optimal solution I was looking for! Smile
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentStorm wrote:
[Psych] wrote:

Yes and no. It detached the debugger enabling me to attach VS, but the addresses/data in the CE's address window became undefined as far as CE was concerned even though the addresses were still valid. (CE just showed "??" for the values.) (Note: I imagine this is by design. Monitoring a "new" process invalidates the current addresses for the "old" process.)

Of course, don't forget to target the original process after detaching(doubleclick process or target and click ok, not attach)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
SilentStorm
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Of course, don't forget to target the original process after detaching(doubleclick process or target and click ok, not attach)

Well, yeah, I know. Attaching back to it would have defeated the purpose of trying to detach from it. Razz Laughing

About the addresses, I just meant that maybe in a future version of CE you could associate a process handle to them, and then if and only if the current monitored process' handle is different should you invalidate them. (Until I exit the game, connecting to "game.exe" will always return the same handle.)
Psy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't mean 'attach' back, as in attach the debugger. He means re-select the game/app process from the process-picker list again. That might be what it needed. They shouldn't invalidate if that is done. I've done it countless times in the past... Smile

~Psy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: