Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What "calls" a Call? Breakpoints skipped? Logic or

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beyondoptics
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: What "calls" a Call? Breakpoints skipped? Logic or Reply with quote

I have been trying to understand why and it's bothering me because I am taking an assembly course and yet I've got no explanation to how this happens.

I would appreciate some thoughts or help on understanding it.
Thanks in advance <3

Untitled-1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.99 KB
 Viewed:  1201 Time(s)

Untitled-1.png

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you're asking. Are you confused why one breakpoint might trigger when another nearby doesn't?

Take this C code for example:
Code:
unsigned collatz(unsigned n) {
    if (n % 2 == 0) {
        return n / 2;
    } else {
        return 3*n+1;
    }
}
If the argument is even, divide it by 2; else, multiply it by 3 and add 1.
This code will compile to this assembly:
Code:
collatz:
    test  dil, 1
    jne   .L2
    mov   eax, edi
    shr   eax
    ret
.L2:
    lea   eax, [rdi+1+rdi*2]
    ret
If you set a breakpoint on the lea instruction, it won't trigger if the argument is even, because the processor took the first branch by falling through the jne instruction.
Similarly, when the argument is odd, the jne instruction will jump to the lea instruction. Instructions between them (i.e. mov / shr / ret) won't get executed, and any breakpoints on them won't trigger.

beyondoptics
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
collatz:
collatz:
    test  dil, 1
    jne   .L2
    mov   eax, edi
    shr   eax
    ret
.L2:
    lea   eax, [rdi+1+rdi*2]
    ret

Exactly! If I set a breakpoint on "test dil,1" it would trigger regardless of whether the number is even or odd right?

But based on the code that I showed in my first post, the first call should've been triggered even when I perform Action 1, or Action 2. Because there isn't any conditional jumps pointing to the calls.

So what bothers me, after looking at your code. It would make sense that when an argument is odd, the jne will jump to the lea instruction. But on the memory view of Cheat Engine, lea would have a "conditional jump marker" above the address.

In my code, there aren't any conditional jumps at all pointing to the calls. But it just confused me how an "odd number" triggers the first call and an "even number" could trigger the second call. When both of em should triggered by the "odd/even number" due to not having a conditional jump as the number would simply go through their instructions right?

Hahaha, am I over complicating this?
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beyondoptics wrote:
Because there isn't any conditional jumps pointing to the calls.
You don't know that.
Jumps can come from very far away- certainly far enough to not be on the same screen as the location it's jumping to. CE has a "dissect code" tool that can analyze code and find some of these jumps; however, it won't find them all. Indirect jumps (e.g. jump table) won't be analyzed by CE.
For example, in your picture, the code at +255A3 is an unconditional jump to somewhere else. Something else surely jumps to the next instruction at +255A8.

I've also seen a game where it would overwrite the return address of a call to get it to return somewhere else other than the call site. I highly doubt this is the case here- it's extremely rare (outside of obfuscation) since it's a terrible thing to do.

If you're really confused, you can go to the start of the function and look at what happens from there, but you really need to know how to read assembly do to that.

I'm still confused by your picture. It looks like you have breakpoints on two call instructions (the ones highlighted in yellow). I don't know what the two big red/green square brackets to the right of the code are. I don't know what action 1 or 2 are referring to. I don't know what "the breakpoint in RED" means since both breakpoints are in the green square bracket.

beyondoptics
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that my picture above is quite confusing. Sorry about that.

Lets say Action 1, is jumping while wearing a small hat. It will trigger all the lines marked with the red. Which would be :
+25A9C
+25AA1
+25AA3

Action 2, would be jumping while wearing a big hat. It will trigger all the lines marked in green. Which would be all the lines from : +25AA8 to +25AC1.

I just have no idea why both Action 1 and Action 2 doesn't trigger the call at +25A9C. Only Action 1.

And how come only Action 2 triggers a breakpoint at +25AA8.

Also, will a jmp trigger a breakpoint? Because +25A97 doesn't trigger one a t all. So I am assuming that it isn't executed at all. And the code only starts at +25A9C.

Untitled-1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.99 KB
 Viewed:  1117 Time(s)

Untitled-1.png

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakpoints trigger when the CPU tries to execute an instruction.

Action 1 triggers the breakpoint at +25A9C because it tried to execute that instruction. It won't trigger the breakpoint at +25AA8 because Action 1 jumps away before it reaches that instruction. Specifically, the jmp instruction at +25AA3 will cause the CPU running Action 1 to start executing code at +26EDE - the destination where the jmp instruction is jumping to.
For example:
Code:
code:
  nop
  jmp L1
  int 3   // this instruction will never be executed- the jmp jumps over this instruction
L1:
  ret

Action 2 triggers the breakpoint at +25AA8 because it tried to execute that instruction. Action 2 won't trigger the breakpoint at +25A9C because it never tried to execute that instruction.

I don't know where Action 1 or Action 2 were before they started executing those instructions. My first guess is there's a couple jcc (conditional jump) instructions that jump to +25A9C for Action1 and +25AA8 for Action 2. If you use CE's "dissect code" feature, it should find those.
If the "dissect code" feature doesn't find anything, it's probably an indirect jump, such as a jump table. This is common in switch statements. e.g. this C code:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
unsigned number;

void foo()
{
    switch (number % 8) {
    case 0:
        puts("zero");
        break;
    case 1:
        puts("one");
        break;
    case 2:
        puts("two");
        break;
    case 3:
        puts("three");
        break;
    case 4:
        puts("four");
        break;
    case 5:
        puts("five");
        break;
    case 6:
        puts("six");
        break;
    case 7:
        puts("seven");
        break;
    }
}
Could be assembled like this (CE AA script):
Code:
[ENABLE]
globalalloc(foo,4096)
createthread(foo)

label(puts)
label(number)
registersymbol(number)

{$lua}
if syntaxcheck then return end

getDissectCode().clear()

createTimer(100, function()
  getDissectCode().dissect(getAddress'foo', 4096)
end)
{$asm}

// code
foo:
  mov  eax, [number]
  mov  rcx, L4
  and  eax, 7
  jmp  [rcx+rax*8]
L3:
  mov  rdi, LC7
  jmp  puts
L10:
  mov  rdi, LC1
  jmp  puts
L9:
  mov  rdi, LC2
  jmp  puts
L8:
  mov  rdi, LC3
  jmp  puts
L7:
  mov  rdi, LC4
  jmp  puts
L6:
  mov  rdi, LC5
  jmp  puts
L5:
  mov  rdi, LC6
  jmp  puts
L2:
  mov  rdi, LC0
  jmp  puts

puts:
  // print string literal
  // stub: this does nothing
  nop
  ret

align 8 CC
// data
L4:
  dq L2
  dq L10
  dq L9
  dq L8
  dq L7
  dq L6
  dq L5
  dq L3

number:
  resd 1

LC0:
  db 'zero', 0
LC1:
  db 'one', 0
LC2:
  db 'two', 0
LC3:
  db 'three', 0
LC4:
  db 'four', 0
LC5:
  db 'five', 0
LC6:
  db 'six', 0
LC7:
  db 'seven', 0

[DISABLE]
The LC* labels are the string literals, the L* labels are what gcc decided to output (not sure why it's in that odd order, but ok), and the puts function is just a stub in this code.
The important part is the instruction `jmp [rcx+rax*8]`- this is an indirect jump to some address in the jump table (label L4). CE's dissect code feature won't see it.
Start the CE tutorial (64-bit), attach to it, and enable/disable the script. Go to the address "foo" in the disassembler and set a breakpoint near the start (e.g. `mov rcx, L4`). Enable the script and step over instructions to watch what happens. Add a memory record with address "number" and change it if you want.

beyondoptics
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I finally understand now! Thanks so much for your time with explaining all these. It really opened my eyes alot. <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: