Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commonalities doubt base address

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sna1l
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Commonalities doubt base address Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I need help with something I'm trying to look up for a manual or something similar. I didn't have any luck though. Probably someone here must know.

The problem is when I found commonalities in ESI and EDX, I have just to add the register plus the offset in the assembler script (supposing the offset is 23A).

example: "ESI+23A" OR "EDX+23a" ​

now what happens when the register is the "base address" how to transcript it?
Just to be really clear: I want to know what is that "base address" where do I get it?

what goes between here: "(base address)+23A"

I sincerely appreciate if someone could help me.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either use Google, or take an Assembly course.
Sna1l
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
You either use Google, or take an Assembly course.

I've tried google but didn't find anything similar. My doubt is, do I have to find a pointer to the address that I used the commonalities? Or is it the same address I used in the assembly?

Can't find many things about the commonalities on Google.

What I want to know is in an assembly script I don't need to use a specific address, I only need the register and offset.

But when the commonalities are in the "Base address" do I need an address or do I write a register plus offset?
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commonalities is not a word use in context of Assembly.
You are looking for the wrong thing.
Assembly course it is then.
Sna1l
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Commonalities is not a word use in context of Assembly.
You are looking for the wrong thing.
Assembly course it is then.

It is a tool in cheat engine to compare the addresses commonalities.

Cee.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.24 KB
 Viewed:  1723 Time(s)

Cee.png

LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sna1l wrote:

The tool provided by Cheat Engine scans for commonalities between shared addresses/offsets i.e. a function within the game that uses the same function for example: health, when damaged it affects both, your character, and enemies. In this situation you would use the scan for commonality feature within Cheat Engine to find an arbitrary value that you can compare against and provide logic within your script so that it affects only your character/enemies.
Sna1l
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeFiXER wrote:
Sna1l wrote:

The tool provided by Cheat Engine scans for commonalities between shared addresses/offsets i.e. a function within the game that uses the same function for example: health, when damaged it affects both, your character, and enemies. In this situation you would use the scan for commonality feature within Cheat Engine to find an arbitrary value that you can compare against and provide logic within your script so that it affects only your character/enemies.

Thank you for explanation, I've been using that tool sometimes though.

But I'm always using a register that not involve "base address" so for example (using the image above as example) supposing I would use the offset 14 of EBX, in an assembly commonalities scanner, the script I would write like this

cmp [ebx+14],33
jne enemy:

Or if it was ESI

cmp [ESI+14],33
jne enemy:

I don't need to find the address, I'm just telling the assembly to search for the same Offset every time, independent of the address.

Now, if I'm using the Base Address as a variable, how would I do the same writing?
Do I need to find the base address? If yes, where do get the base address from? Since it is related to an assembly code (mov eax,[ebx+08])?
LeFiXER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to know what the base address is to use comparitive logic. Providing you use the correct registers/instructions based on the address of the value you want to manipulate.

If you don't want to take that route you will have to find the base address by pointer scanning, either manually or with the pointer scanner; however, I personally think finding the base address is more work than is required.
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sna1l wrote:
LeFiXER wrote:
Sna1l wrote:

Thank you for explanation, I've been using that tool sometimes though.

But I'm always using a register that not involve "base address" so for example (using the image above as example) supposing I would use the offset 14 of EBX, in an assembly commonalities scanner, the script I would write like this

cmp [ebx+14],33
jne enemy:

Or if it was ESI

cmp [ESI+14],33
jne enemy:

I don't need to find the address, I'm just telling the assembly to search for the same Offset every time, independent of the address.

Now, if I'm using the Base Address as a variable, how would I do the same writing?
Do I need to find the base address? If yes, where do get the base address from? Since it is related to an assembly code (mov eax,[ebx+08])?

I've never used the tool, but my guess is it's whatever registry the instruction uses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheyCallMeTim13 wrote:

I've never used the tool, but my guess is it's whatever registry the instruction uses.

That's right, it compares the chain of pointers based on the register (at least that's what I believe it does) because you can't compare offsets using a different register from the pointer held by the address of the instruction you're trying to compare. I'm pretty bad at explaining what I mean but hopefully you understand.

If I'm wrong and someone knows how it works exactly and can tell me, please do Smile.
Sna1l
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You're right, a little later though Smile ,I'd found out yesterday I kept trying to find the address and ran through a couple of addresses, and it was the register in the assembly and it's worked.

But I appreciate anyway. Thanks!

And if someone has the same doubt, just to be clear, when it says "Base address" in the Commonalities Scanner it refers to the register in the assembly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: