Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help a newb why dont ya?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnarok20
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Help a newb why dont ya? Reply with quote

Hey there CE community, I'm a starting newb in the world of cheats and I kinda got stuck with my ct. I'm playing this game where there are multiple characters, real simple really most values are 4bytes or float so no problem finding the correct value. Then I proceeded to create pointer scans for the values to keep them static. Everything works fine, I can close the game and re-open it later and my ct works just fine.
But, here's the problem like I said there are multiple characters in this game and if I switch to another character those pointers no longer work, even tho the characters are more like re-skins of the same class, they all share the same information, let's say health, energy, inventory space, etc. I believed that since the characters were basically clones when switching them, the pointers would just show the information of the new character instead of the modified ones from the previuos and that would be that. But I was wrong, this is why I come here to ask for help, maybe guiding me in the right direction or talking about a next step.
Like I said I'm just starting so I don't know much but any help would be appreciated.

DanyDollaro
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly, you would like to find a static pointer to the current character structure, what you can do is:

1) Look for a static pointer to the basic structure of each character.

2) Search the entity list of these characters and do something about it (But since you are a beginner you may find it complex).

3) Create a sort of injection copy that updates the pointers you use in your cheat table.

The simplest and fastest one in my opinion would be point 3, you hook to something that interacts with the pointer to the structure of your current character, usually one of those codes that read the value of health would be enough, you register it in a memory region to which you will give a symbol, and in your cheat table you enter the symbol plus the offset of the characteristic you want to reach, changing character should also update the pointer if you have hooked the correct piece of code.
Ragnarok20
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I can comprehend somewhat what you're saying.

1.- Would be doing pointers scan for every character (Is that what you mean?), which in my case would be kinda pointless because the characters are kinda disposable, the finest example that comes to mind right now is Battlefield 1 campaing, where in some maps you could just die as a soldier and take the role of another, rip soldier 1. Doing this would be kind of a waste of time I believe.

2.- You're right I dont really grasp this concept but I can do a search on the internet now that I know what a next step would be.

3.- Yeah this definitely sounds like the most appropriate option, tho I would have to do some more research on it, before trying it.

All in all great advice, and thanks for the quick response.

10/10 would ask again. Very Happy

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you'd use several pointer maps when doing pointer scans- each one in a different game state (e.g. different character/level) and in a different instance of the game (exit & restart).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyIrcx8Z8g

Using several pointer maps generated for different characters, the pointer scanner would search for a pointer that persists between characters. If there aren't any simple paths the pointer scanner can find, then move on to something else, like code injection. Search for "injection copy" for more information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: