Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabling skills in Middle Earth: Shadow Of War

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudemario
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Disabling skills in Middle Earth: Shadow Of War Reply with quote

Hey there!

I'm normally used to simple uses of Cheat Engine, but I think I'm lost when it comes to what I'm looking to do and was wondering if anyone here might have some guidance on how to approach this.

In Shadow Of War, your character's abilities are upgraded based on a skill tree organized in 7 or so linear trees, and each of them are tiles. You obtain one upgrade, and can get the next, linearly, until the end of the list. They can't be disabled normally, and some of them make the game so easy that I would like to avoid them, while enabling one further down the list that balances the game more fairly for example. So I'm looking to find the value that enables a skill, and then I will revert my save file and just enable that single skill, and leave that tree untouched going forward as that's the only skill I want.

As a result of the tiles being tiles, and them being organized in a linear list, and the skills not being disabled, I would have to search for all types of an unknown value. And then, I'd have to assume the value goes up by one, but I have no other option to refine. I get one trial of going from skill not purchased, to purchased, before I have to turn the game off and reload a different save (only one save file). This makes things more complicated.

I am also getting strange behavior, where after running New Scan>First Scan of an unknown value and all types, and then a Next Scan of increased value by... And set to an increase of 1, once it's finished all of the values in the list lose their previous value, and it becomes the value I was looking for. So if I'm searching for unknown values, or for 0 values of 4 bytes, and then I search for an increase by 1, instead of getting a new value and a previous value of 0, or some number for the other case, I'm ALSO getting a previous value equal to the value I just inputted, which would be 1, or 2 if I increment again.

So, my general confusion with both the approach and the execution has left me at a loss, and before I give up entirely since I've spent a few hours dealing with Cheat Engine needing more space on my SSD and then freeing up 100 gigs and sometimes still getting that error, I figured I'd come here and see if anyone would have any suggestions for this atypical instance. Linear upgrade trees aren't as common as branching ones.

Thank you so much for your time!
Betcha
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Disabling skills in Middle Earth: Shadow Of War Reply with quote

rudemario wrote:
Hey there! Guidance on how to approach this ...

(image from google)

Try finding one of these values that i marked, then open dissect data/structure with it.
Look around in dissect data/structure and see what changes when you upgrade skills.
I bet it's all together and you'll find value for each skill that changes 0/1 there.
rudemario
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabling skills in Middle Earth: Shadow Of War Reply with quote

Betcha wrote:
rudemario wrote:
Hey there! Guidance on how to approach this ...

(image from google)

Try finding one of these values that i marked, then open dissect data/structure with it.
Look around in dissect data/structure and see what changes when you upgrade skills.
I bet it's all together and you'll find value for each skill that changes 0/1 there.

Hey there! I've been playing around for a few hours watching some tutorials on dissecting and using the memory viewer as well as pinpointing things using the VEH debugger, but it course I don't have a very deep understanding, and because this is sort of niche I can't find many guides for specifically the issues I'm having.

So, after learning some information for context I decided to give it a try.

Something strange that I didn't notice first, is that of the numbers you circled, the only one that I can get a value for is "Ranged". If I try with "Wraith", "Mounted," "Combat," etc, I get down to just a few variables that all change on their own. But with Ranged, after about 4 I manage to lock down an address. This address on further playing around seems to actually be a counter of how many times the skills are upgraded, so if I upgrade 4 times it goes up by 4, and modfying it does nothing. If I open up the memory viewer, I can see that there's an entry that gets edited fast in correlation with my mouse movements, indicating I'm likely somewhere relevant to the drawing of the UI. Shouldn't be a problem, right? I can just use the "What writes to this" in order to find where the number is bring pulled from, or being written from, right? Well, I can't find anything nearby that matches any other values in the menu, much to my dismay. I've followed Stephen Chapman's AOB and Debugger instructions for assembly and understanding his application but it seems like he's simply using it to verify, and just using an already identified value inputted into Structure Dissect to "look for any nearby numbers that also appear in the dissection". But none of my numbers appear in any of the entries. He doesn't address this problem because he's able to identify matching numbers and test them to achieve his ends.

So, I decided to try the other number, the Skill Point counter, and see what I could find. In that regard, I consistently can find two addresses associated with it, one not changing the number, which obviously seems to me to be one number for the UI and one number actually tracking the amount of skill points in the code. For this reason I change them both at the same time for parity sake. Now, what happens when I attempt to dissect this? This region, unlike the other which had colour values being changed on the fly by what colour tile the cursor was on, has no discernable relevance and modifying anything in the screen like obtaining a skill does nothing but flash the skill point address. The other region had tons of updates obviously owing to the fact it was a UI region, presumably.

So, the Skill Point modifying seems to work, but it leads me to a dead end, likely because I lack the knowledge to discern anything, and the Ranged value leads me to the UI area and I can't figure out how to get back to the root area it's bring written from.

For fun, I tried modifying some Zeros in hopes they were zeros for my skill tree perks, even though I saw almost zero ones, and it was a 30% chance the game would crash after being interacted with, lol.

In a more positive note, I wasn't sure how to approach at all before you gave me that tip, and you really helped me get on the right track. Without you mentioning that feature, I would've never gotten this far, thanks so much!

Any suggestions on where to head from here? I'm gonna keep plugging away but I fear what I need to do here is out of the scope of most YouTube tutorials on Match 3s and old Emulators, hence why I'm asking here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: