Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding headers with address support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minnen
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Question regarding headers with address support Reply with quote

Hello, long time lurker first time posting.

I'm rather new to cheat engine and I created a table with a very long list of entries, I wanted to clean it up a bit by grouping the entries but I was prompted with this question: "Do you want a header with address support?" and I dont know what it means.

Also what's the best approach, to create a header or to create a group?

I consulted both the wiki and the forums but couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks in advance!
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A header with address support lets you associate an address with a header. It's pretty much just an address without a value.
One way to use it is by using the string "+X" as the address of a child memory record. e.g. parent memory record's address is "1305C400" and child memory record's address is "+10" means the child memory record's real address is "1305C410".

What do you mean by "group"? And what problem are you even trying to solve? If it's how to organize your table, just do whatever you want.

satandidnowrong
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
A header with address support lets you associate an address with a header. It's pretty much just an address without a value.
One way to use it is by using the string "+X" as the address of a child memory record. e.g. parent memory record's address is "1305C400" and child memory record's address is "+10" means the child memory record's real address is "1305C410".

What do you mean by "group"? And what problem are you even trying to solve? If it's how to organize your table, just do whatever you want.

They are talking about when you right click and it says "add to new group"
Afaict, the header is the same thing. They act the same any ways, except in the creation behaviour. Create header does just that; plants a header down right there. Add to group takes the selected entries in your table and puts them in a header together. Nice little organization feature.

Big love to both yall thanks for participating in the hobby.

Animation.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.13 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)

Animation.gif

Minnen
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses.

Quote:
ParkourPenguin ~ What do you mean by "group"? And what problem are you even trying to solve? If it's how to organize your table, just do whatever you want.

By group I mean grouping the entries under one collapsible header so I can reduce the amount of and make it both easier to work with and organized.

And i wouldn't call this a problem I'm not getting error messages or anything just trying to figure out the details of CE as I learn and i couldn't find this anywhere.

Your response was very detailed and gave me useful information.

Quote:
satandidnowrong ~ Create header does just that; plants a header down right there. Add to group takes the selected entries in your table and puts them in a header together. Nice little organization feature.

Yes!, I'm going with group instead of header then, and I'm not choosing address support as I dont need it, I dont want to change anything just make it easier to work with.

Quote:
satandidnowrong ~ Big love to both yall thanks for participating in the hobby.

Thanks for your kind words!, sending you good vibes hope you have a great day! Very Happy
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnen wrote:
By group I mean grouping the entries under one collapsible header so I can reduce the amount of and make it both easier to work with and organized.
Yes. Just click and drag some memory records onto a header and you've made a group. In this context, your previous question doesn't really make sense:
Minnen wrote:
Also what's the best approach, to create a header or to create a group?
If a group is a header, why distinguish them? What's the difference to you?

If you mean using a header inline in a table without any child memory records (basically just a comment), don't do that. That serves no organizational purpose and just adds clutter to a table.

PS: a very common feature is to right click a header and select "Group config -> Hide children when deactivated"

Minnen
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ParkourPenguin ~ If a group is a header, why distinguish them? What's the difference to you?

I don't, the program does, it gives you the option to create either a header or group, and apparently they're both, in essence, the same. As for why they're duplicated under different names I have no idea.

Now that I have settled for group instead of header, when I go ahead and create it I'm faced with a different prompt by the program, "Do you want 'address' version?".

What does that mean?

It's a different prompt from the "Do you want a header with address support?" I get when I choose header.

Exclamation EDIT Exclamation

I found the awnser to my question in the forum, quotation below as I'm unauthorized to post links yet.

Quote:
Dark Byte ~ a group entry with an address is the same as a group, except it has an address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: