Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with signed value scan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aldelaro5
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Problem with signed value scan Reply with quote

Hi, I am currently developping an external ram search tool for the Dolphin emulator in the goal of making it easy to use for dolphin's purposes.

Since CE is currently the only good ram search that supports big endian type via custom types extensions (required as the GC and Wii are big endian memory), i use CE to compare my scan result count as first test.

However, I noticed something strange about the handling of signed values in scanning. Basically, CE doesn't seem to care about the sign and automatically assumes I meant unsigned, which I found weird to see no option to have a signed value scan. For example, any scan with type bigger than -1 returns no results, it likely converted -1 to unsigned and nothing is bigger than the max range. Same if I scan for smaller than -1, it returns everything.

My question: am I missing something? Does CE has any support to scan for signed values? If not, why?

Thanks.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically no one scans for a decimal range that overlaps negative and positive.

If they do, it's usually the float type, which does support it

Also, I really discourage scanning for the value 0, which is another reason

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
aldelaro5
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Practically no one scans for a decimal range that overlaps negative and positive.

If they do, it's usually the float type, which does support it

Also, I really discourage scanning for the value 0, which is another reason

Isn't this weird considering the watcher has the option to interpret as signed though? Because it allows to even parse user input as signed.

Idk, but I expected that signed or unsigned was part of the memory type, it's just interpreting the ram differently in both cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: