Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CE Installer junk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTruKing
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: CE Installer junk Reply with quote

So I went to update CE since I had not in some time and I noticed all the annoying little things that come with the installer. I know ads are needed and would even be happy to donate if I can avoid the risk of crap being installed on my pc by accident, it's really annoying at least and a risk (to some) at most...soooooo....

These are the links to clean installation .exe files for Cheat Engine 6.6 and 6.7 without the annoying extra baggage.

Cheat Engine 6.6:
usersdrive com /laqsr6bx445l html

Cheat Engine 6.7:
usersdrive com /7wng58sua8wx html

I love cheat engine and would hate to give more fuel to the people that use "it's a viruuuussssss" as their go to war-cry against this great piece of software.

P.S.I know you could get the files on the main site but if we are going to do that, why not have a clean, slimmed down installer?
atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a new account with 1 post, posting links to personal modded versions of CE. I'm sure people will trust your files more than the original installer lol..

There is already a version you can install without the ads on the downloads page. Every ad is avoidable/skippable as well if you take the time to read and opt out of everything.

TheTruKing
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Gimme them shortcuts, boi! Reply with quote

"You are a new account with 1 post, posting links to personal modded versions of CE. "

- new account?
yes.
- modded version of CE?
No, just a tightly compressed and less cluttered installer.

Anyone can choose to use it. Or nah... (or nah...)

"There is already a version you can install without the ads on the downloads page. "

I did mention this, but thanks. I'm just trying to put a little something out there that someone may find useful. The files are not altered in any way and if you use the archived file in the downloads section, you basically get those files with this, just as a quick "gimme them shortcuts, boi " installer.

I don't really mean to be rude when I post this reply but I feel like one point was misrepresented and the second I addressed.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an installer is not necessary in my opinion, but to each their own.

Nonetheless, atom0s's comment still stands; we cannot know if your installer is clean and untouched without verifying the integrity of the files first.

For obvious reasons, we do not typically advocate the use of 3rd-party copies -- not just for reasons of security, but also as an effort to provide the best support.

Maybe atom0s could have replied better, but as a new user, with no established trust, it is important for the moderation team to give anyone that may read this thread a heads-up as anything that you share should undergo additional scrutiny and certain considerations must be taken. It is the responsible thing to do, I think. Frankly speaking, he could have deleted your links altogether to mitigate any potential issues.
TheTruKing
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Having an installer is not necessary in my opinion, but to each their own."

Like I said, just putting stuff out there for someone who may find it useful. There's a reason why there is a default installer.

"Nonetheless, atom0s's comment still stands; we cannot know if your installer is clean and untouched without verifying the integrity of the files first. "

Obviously, I understand. I was just stating my side. Just like when a product is advertised and you are informed by the vendor of it's contents. You don't really know, even with the default installer. It's the internet and even I sandbox most of my sketchy downloads.

This is why I mentioned that anyone could choose to use or ignore this installer. It's just a file by some guy who hates ads and having to go through extra steps no matter how small. It's up to the user to decide.

"For obvious reasons, we do not typically advocate the use of 3rd-party copies -- not just for reasons of security, but also as an effort to provide the best support"

I understand the security part. Even I would question it and I never called anyone a fool for questioning me, I just plead my case.

The support part is a little different. You can provide support to a user that installed the files properly, be it via the default installer, the compressed archive itself or a 3rd party installer that copies the files as the archive would (as long as it does so).

"Maybe atom0s could have replied better, but as a new user, with no established trust, it is important for the moderation team to give anyone that may read this thread a heads-up as anything that you share should undergo additional scrutiny and certain considerations must be taken. It is the responsible thing to do, I think. Frankly speaking, he could have deleted your links altogether to mitigate any potential issues"

He replied fine, I was just sharing some information about my post.
It's the internet, we know the drill. Again, I don't have any issues with this being questioned or put to the test, as a matter of fact I welcome/encourage it.

He could have deleted the links, still can, probably will. It's not my life's work or some weird scheme to spread a virus all over the internet with cheat engine of all things. That's almost blasphemous and I take offense to that, good sir!

In all seriousness, I just wanted to share a quick fix to the annoying little things that bug me when installing software. Delete it if need be. I understand.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasoning for my comment regarding support for 3rd-party copies is simple. Due to the nature of CE and the fact that, sometimes, custom copies get circulated around that are heavily modified, it becomes difficult to provide support when someone starts asking questions about why their custom copy of CE isn't working as it should. It becomes anyone's best guess at that point.

Sometimes, the fact that the copy of CE that they are using is a custom version isn't even disclosed...which wastes a lot of time and can be very frustrating for those that are trying to help.
TheTruKing
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The support part is a little different. You can provide support to a user that installed the files properly, be it via the default installer, the compressed archive itself or a 3rd party installer that copies the files as the archive would (as long as it does so). "

I already answered this and the only point I can give you fully is the trust factor. I have disclosed that the files are 100% the same as the archive and installed that we have available officially. Any issue with the original would also be there with this installation and every fix would function exactly the same because the files are not changing but the method of delivery is.

The point of disclosure or the trust in said disclosure I have already agreed with several times. Everyone should scan/sandbox and test most files found on the internet, even some from previously trusted sources.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing the point. Even if someone that has established trust on this forum were to release a heavily modified version of CE, it could still pose problems from a support perspective. Most people have the sense to disclose the fact that they are running an unofficial build, but not all -- and even then, those are not the type of modifications that I am referring to, as any pre-release builds typically have contained discussion within a designated thread inside of the beta sub-forum.

Nonetheless, it is not something that needs to be argued about; I was simply trying to explain to you some of the reasoning why your attempt to the help the community might not have gone the way that you expected.

You do not need to keep explaining yourself.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean people can't read to skip the offers, you have very high hopes from the same people to stumble upon your links, read it and grab your version,

Good luck

TheTruKing
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to keep explaining myself? Why do you make it sound like I do?

I believe, my friend...

You are the one missing the point (no offense, dawg.). From a support perspective, if you can provide support for THE ARCHIVE Cheat Engine download, then, you can provide support for these unaltered files.

The question of wether or not these files are altered can be answered by a quick check for those interested. CE is an amazing program so "non malicious" alterations were not necessary from my end. On the other hand, it's up to the user to trust that I am not human scum that would alter these files to abuse their trust. I understand the trust factor, just not the support point made, since I have explained these are all vanilla.

(Verifying this is as easy as comparing the original files from the archive to this install. Files added: uninstaller)

The example is not fitting, therefore the explanation is almost necessary.

Also, to STN:

This is the internet. You can always increase the chance by posting elsewhere but getting thousands to download them is not my goal. This is just for people like me who have multiple computers and upgrade/downgrade many times and like to keep it simple. It's the vanilla CE Ice cream.... without the unwanted sprinkles.

P.S. Yes, you could download the archive and unarchive and all that jazz, my intention was to speed up a process that I repeat many times by just creating a compact installer. Could even make it quicker by making it install once executed without further use input, if interested and if you always install default. (Not literally you)
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTruKing wrote:

but getting thousands to download them is not my goal. This is just for people like me

Indeed it is for you. If you could check the download stats (not sure if userdrive allows that) you'd see one download and that would be you.

You haven't seen stupid and lazy but i/we have and this thread like many others like this get lost in history.

Also i agree with Methos. But if you want to be helpful, direct them here -> http://cheatengine.org/downloads.php

It will always contain latest version and is from someone they can trust.

atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTruKing wrote:
You are the one missing the point (no offense, dawg.). From a support perspective, if you can provide support for THE ARCHIVE Cheat Engine download, then, you can provide support for these unaltered files.

Why should we maintain third-party copies of CE? There is no point when the official files work just fine and if you take the few moments to actually read the installer, none of the junk will be installed with it. People on this forum are not going to go out of their way to support things random people make like this.

TheTruKing wrote:

The question of wether or not these files are altered can be answered by a quick check for those interested. CE is an amazing program so "non malicious" alterations were not necessary from my end. On the other hand, it's up to the user to trust that I am not human scum that would alter these files to abuse their trust. I understand the trust factor, just not the support point made, since I have explained these are all vanilla.

You are someone brand new to the community, low post count, and telling people to trust you just on your word. How are you not seeing how flawed that is?

As for "checks by those interested"..? So you want people to download your files, then still download the official one to compare and ensure are legit. What is the point of your files then if they are going to download the original anyway?

There is literally no point to what you're doing. CE already offers both the installer version and a version that does not contain the installer at all. Both are official from the creator himself. Why would anyone go out of their way to download an installer from some unknown person doing nothing to prove the files are legit/real other than saying "just trust me"?

Not to mention, the installer version is a way for Dark Byte to get some money for his hard work because I'm sure his donation income from this is extremely low. You are basically telling DB to fuck himself by stripping out the one way for him to make any type of money from the project.

OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CE Installer junk Reply with quote

TheTruKing wrote:
So I went to update CE since I had not in some time and I noticed all the annoying little things that come with the installer. I know ads are needed and would even be happy to donate if I can avoid the risk of crap being installed on my pc by accident, it's really annoying at least and a risk (to some) at most...soooooo....

These are the links to clean installation .exe files for Cheat Engine 6.6 and 6.7 without the annoying extra baggage.

Cheat Engine 6.6:
usersdrive com /laqsr6bx445l html

Cheat Engine 6.7:
usersdrive com /7wng58sua8wx html

I love cheat engine and would hate to give more fuel to the people that use "it's a viruuuussssss" as their go to war-cry against this great piece of software.

P.S.I know you could get the files on the main site but if we are going to do that, why not have a clean, slimmed down installer?

to be honest with everyone, i use CE from a very long time.
i never experienced / noticed junkware in my system/pc and installer.

everytime i see post or people say CE installer does install and have adware or toolbars or whatever i get shocked!
because and as i said i never saw these things in the offecial installer.

yes i do saw these things in third-party installers, but did i used third-party things in my pc? NO.

lets assume CE dont have offecial installer, are you blind (or blind enough) so you cant see or read whats going to be installed?

no offense just open your eyes.
i have couple versions of CE in my pc (with their installer) and i went to check them before i post.
so its up to you believe or not.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: