Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blank Space without Spacebar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Blank Space without Spacebar? Reply with quote

Hi. Here's the situation: I'm trying to change a Character's name in Tales of Symphonia, and the Game (or is it Cheat Engine?) appears to be enforcing a Character Limit. Example, the Character's name is llama lover (5 Characters), and I wanna change it to a Name with 4 Characters. But when I try to, it keeps the 5th Character (d) in the entry box, despite my repeated attempts to delete it. A press of the Spacebar doesn't solve this, as it creates an unnecessary blank space in the text of the game. That said, is there a way to make a blank space without the Spacebar? Also, I'm very sorry if this is the wrong part of the Forum to post this in. I'm new here.

Last edited by DarkKaitou on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blank Space without Spacebar? Reply with quote

DarkKaitou wrote:
That said, is there a way to make a blank space without the Spacebar?
-Not sure about the other stuff, but you can get a blank space with character map that isn't recognized as a space.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought up Character Map and clicked a Blank Space, but I'm not sure what to do now. Sorry, I've never used Cheat Engine in this manner before, so it's quite new to me.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what you are trying to do. You asked about creating a space that would not be recognized as a space. Beyond that, I cannot help you unless you can provide more details.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, the name on the first post keeps changing to "llama lover", even though that's not the correct name. Anyway, I'm searching for the Character's name using the Value Type of "String", and the results come up. I'm trying to change the Value to a different name, which is 4 letters long. By default, the Character's name is 5 letters long, and it ends with the letter "d". So if I were to enter "Rock" into the Value Field, it would come up "Rockd". I need to find a way to make a blank space so I can keep the letter limit without a blank space after the name.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some weird filters on this forum. You may have to add a period or something inside the word to keep it from changing.

Okay, I understand what you are saying now. You can forget about using the character map.

If the letter is lowercase 'd', try changing the value type from string to array of byte and changing the 64 to 20.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I tried that just now, and it was the same result: There was an extra space from the blank space. I'm starting to think I need to find this game's specific character set (akin to hacking an NES ROM) to do this. Still, I'm learning, and that's good.

EDIT: I got it! I had to use 00 to make it work! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by DarkKaitou on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that you wanted to remove the 'd'. Following the instructions outlined above will replace the 'd' with an empty space.

Depending on how the game is programmed, you may need to look at the assembly code to see what is happening and make the necessary changes so that only 4 letter blocks are shown.

I can take a look at it if you want, when I have time. I make no promises, however.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually edited my last post above, likely as you were typing your own reply, to say that I figured it out. It was 00 that made it work in the end.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was going to be my next suggestion...just try to 00 it out. Good to hear.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a new issue has arisen...I saved the Table after adding the Addresses to the list, but whenever I close the game, then load the Table again in Cheat Engine after re-opening the game, the Values reset to default, despite me saving the Table AFTER I have renamed the Characters. That said, is there a way to prevent it from resetting? Have I simply done something wrong, or do some games constantly change Addresses/Values?
Zanzer
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find every occurrence of the name in memory and change them all. Make sure it saves the game.
If these are names of NPCs then the game won't save that type of information to your saved game file.
DarkKaitou
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found every instance of the name by scanning, changed them, added them to the Address List, and saved the list. What happens is, when I re-open that saved list, it resets to the Default Names.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to find and change every instance using a hex editor (which may actually be faster), but that may or may not work, depending on how that data is being handled. You will also need to determine where that data is being stored, as it may or may not be within the main module. Any save files may also need to be fixed to avoid potential issues.
SunBeam
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Zanzer said, the names won't be saved as they are reinitialized everytime. How and where are the defaults stored is up to you to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: