Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static Addresses changed after redownloading game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyperglyph
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Static Addresses changed after redownloading game Reply with quote

Had several hundred addresses stored in a .ct file. Then, I accidentally corrupted my game's data and had to delete local content + redownload through Steam.

Now, the first 2 digits of every saved address has changed and the values are completely wrong.

Every address was a green/static... so I really don't know what went wrong here or if it can be fixed. I tried putting the ORIGINAL addresses in manually (I had some of them written down) and they aren't correct anymore, either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
Further testing has shown that only SOME of the addresses' first 2 digits are changing. The other addresses are changing in their entirety. I'm a little worried about distributing a hack that seems so finicky. I mean, I've re-located the addresses thanks to my record-keeping... but does this mean they're different for each installation of the game?
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the target was updated when you reinstalled it, then it's possible that some of the static addresses are now different. Using injection with AOB scanning can help to eliminate any compatibility problems with regard to differing target versions as a result of updates and patches etc..
Hyperglyph
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google leads me to this:
http: //forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=584799

Guess I'll have to take some time to implement that in my trainer's script before I publish it.

Thanks for the tip.

Edit:
Although, come to think of it, I'm not really sure how to. All of the addresses I'm using have binary values which will make it difficult to build a unique array. Guess I'll have to find some complex, unchanging values somewhere that I can use as a base.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary values, in what regard? Boolean/byte values? The array is just a hexadecimal signature that you use to scan for your injection location. Wildcard variables can be included in your array for potentially dynamic bytes. Once you find a unique array, you can use that to locate your injection point, regardless of target version. With the hook established, you can write a script to manipulate the values however you see fit.
Hyperglyph
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The values are all Boolean flags. Just a bunch of 0s and 1s. If I understood the idea of an AoB correctly (and your post seems to confirm) it helps re-locate the addresses relative to a unique sequence of variables.

So, I was saying I'll need to throw something more complex than 0s and 1s into the mix, or it's unlikely the set will be unique (which is kinda what you just said). That shouldn't be too hard. I think I already have a few 9-digit numbers with consistent values somewhere in my list.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way, a program is made up of bytes and can be interpreted using hexadecimal values. Those values can be interpreted as assembly. The assembly shows the instructions that access the values that you're looking to manipulate (e.g. hexadecimal values of 8B 45 08 is the same as mov eax,[ebp+08]). If you create an AOB signature, it will allow you to find the location in the code that you want to manipulate - be it a location for your hook or actual values.

An example...

You're writing a book on your computer. You need to change something in the book, so you use the search feature in a text editor to find the location in the book that you need to edit. The signature that you use is just a sentence that you use for your search. Maybe, you have several revisions or different copies of the work and the words are a bit different between publications, so you use wildcard entries for the words that you know may change across different versions of the book. Once the location in the book is found, you can make whatever changes that you want using that same signature, regardless of which version of the book that you're trying to edit. In the example below:

Search sentence:

How was your time at the * today?

Maybe, in one book, the wildcard word is 'pond', and in another book, the word used is 'lake'. In this example, the search signature can be used for both books to find the location of that sentence.

In your case, if you can find the instruction(s) that access the values that you're wanting to manipulate, that would be better than trying to find the actual values in code for direct manipulation.

Hopefully, that makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: