Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is a great topic, you know?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: This is a great topic, you know? Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by h3x1c on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Technically, CE is open source. It's lame if they don't give credit where credit is due, but they'll never be as good as CE...only copycats, in my opinion.
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS wrote:
Technically, CE is open source. It's lame if they don't give credit where credit is due, but they'll never be as good as CE...only copycats, in my opinion.

Indeed. And I realize that, but it's a testament to their character (or lack thereof, specifically) there and I want to put them on full-blast for it.

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a custom ce that resembles this and user ce. Is it ce at the core though?
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kinda duslike c# .net applications. sure the gui may look nicer but overall they feel slower than just using windows api. same thing with unity, it still feels slow yet the number of users just keeps increasing. maybe its the ease of use.
ulysse31
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Will have to try it out and see what it brings, if anything, to the table. Btw they also import CE tables.
mgr.inz.Player
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it:
- while using "Viewer" ScrollBar - crash.
- "find AOB" also crashed few times.

I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love CE and while it's an acquired taste for me coming from Tsearch era, i can't imagine my life without CE now.

CH are doing a really fantastic job in some aspects with cosmos and heading in the right direction but really horrible in other aspects. For example, the usage of .net, the app is so slow. They dream of competing with CE even though they deny it publicly but it's going to be just a dream with .net as their programming language. Nobody wants to wait forever for the app to even load nevermind searching for stuff.

They haven't ripped CE's source code, it is based on other open source engines. Well, they obviously have ripped parts from CE such as speedhack.

I like how nonchalant Dark byte is about all of this. But he knows it's not a threat to CE. CH sucks at making things for public, their main selling point for cosmos is that it's very noob-friendly..well so is CE - even a retard can use CE. If anyone can't figure out how to use CE, i think they have something fundamentally wrong in them that fancy graphics of cosmos will not solve.

PinPoint
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the t-seach era, what nostalgia. The only other memory editor i might still use from years ago is ArtMoney

Tried cosmos, prefer cheat engine, and I can't see an influx of CE user switching over anyway.

Last edited by PinPoint on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming at this from a marketing perspective, they could very well get to the point where they compete with CE (I'm not going to give any ideas), even if the product isn't as good (for the time being). People like modern UI, and CH looks more attractive from the sense of visual cues vs. CE's site and application--especially with people who want instant gratification.

If anyone stands a chance at competing with CE, it's them. And I'm not even talking about tomorrow, next month, or even a year from now. I'm talking about after they've got legs under this thing and they start moving it beyond the walls of their site. A marketing expert for them is just an invoice away, so whatever they suck at where that's concerned could be fixed in the blink of an eye.

They're motivated by the prospect of money, so this isn't just like some dude making a memory scanner as a hobby; this is ultimately a business move for them, so I'm not so sure I'd be ready to treat this as a fly-by-night CE wannabe.

At that, since CE and its free community are obviously what CH is competing against, I fully expect them at some point to start running ads and video promos directly calling out CE and pointing out its "flaws" as compared to their...well, whatever they have at the time: noob-friendliness, GUI, filtering options, etc.

At the end of the day, they have to convert users into paying customers, which, for them, means bringing people in with free tools, tutorials, etc. and then trying to get them to pay for a lifetime membership to significantly more functional trainers than what the free scripts are. If they can successfully push into the demographic of CE's massive user base by offering exactly the same thing for free, except with the lure of UI modernity and whatever else they posit as a benefit, then I could see things turning ugly here at some point.

I'd love to privately help work on the longevity of CE, because time has shown that absolutely no software solution is safe from competition--even if the competition isn't free. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but I think I'd pay a bit more attention to this, personally. Of course, this is all if anyone even cares to the extent of being proactive at this juncture or in the near future. CH has all the time in the world to craft something to a point of readiness where they can then easily put it in front of the entire CE demographic, provided they have enough ad budget (and I don't see this niche being particularly competitive with keywords, so...).

So, yeah. That's my thought on it from a business/marketing perspective (and not just armchair Internet QB guy, either; business/marketing analysis is one of my actual job qualifications).

EDIT: Throughout my reply, I don't mean CE's dedicated demographic, but rather its prospective demographic (anyone out there looking for cheats who could find their way to CE, basically).

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think CE's goal is to compete in the first place. correct me if im wrong, its probably to provide a free yet unlacking alternative back in the days where artmoney etc. required some kind of monetary remuneration for full functionality. I kinda like the community spirit here, where the veterans spend their time to help those learning or write tables for those not capable of doing so, has a FOSS spirit to it. i find DB's non-confrontational attitude really respectable, frankly if it were me each time someone asked about malware trojans in the installer they would probably be account+ip banned. it's probably his disposal that makes this place feels welcoming even for the newbies. as for veterans (forgive me for considering myself a partial one) we would probably prefer something we are used to and speedy until something else that brings something new comes along. for now, CE is probably still the most robust gamehacking tool.
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predprey wrote:
i don't think CE's goal is to compete in the first place. correct me if im wrong, its probably to provide a free yet unlacking alternative back in the days where artmoney etc. required some kind of monetary remuneration for full functionality. I kinda like the community spirit here, where the veterans spend their time to help those learning or write tables for those not capable of doing so, has a FOSS spirit to it. i find DB's non-confrontational attitude really respectable, frankly if it were me each time someone asked about malware trojans in the installer they would probably be account+ip banned. it's probably his disposal that makes this place feels welcoming even for the newbies. as for veterans (forgive me for considering myself a partial one) we would probably prefer something we are used to and speedy until something else that brings something new comes along. for now, CE is probably still the most robust gamehacking tool.

Right, that's certainly not CE's goal, and everything you said is exactly what I enjoy about the community here, too. And I'm not trying to interject my own purpose to CE as though it were my own. I was just looking to offer perspective and help defend a product where monetization is certainly present (site ads and in the installer) and a community is currently able to thrive undivided.

Quote:
CE is probably still the most robust gamehacking tool.

Curious about this. What would you personally consider to be a comparable game-hacking tool?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's CH, they are known for copying things from others. Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be their last.
_Veggy
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that atom0s
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
It's CH, they are known for copying things from others. Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be their last.

Here's a CH moment of zen:

Quote:
After being first and then copied by the usual posers, we added even more unique options that we're sure will magically appear in other trainers shortly. But I think people know by now who the real deal is.

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: