Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to keep game running while pointer scanning?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoobInTraining
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Do I need to keep game running while pointer scanning? Reply with quote

Hi,

Stupid question, but do I need to keep the game running while doing a pointer scan? I'm trying to find a tricky pointer in Anarchy Online (an MMO) but the game kicks you after X number of minutes idle (got an autohotkey script to prevent this) but it sometimes crashes or my internet cuts out disconnecting me from the server.

I can't guarantee I will be connected for the game for 7+ hours needed to find the pointer. So can I just find the value, kick off the pointer scan and then close the game? Does it do a snapshot of memory when starting the pointer scan or is there a way of doing an offline pointerscan?

Also please can I have suggestions of recommended levels/offsets to try. I've tried the default of 5-2048 but no dice, i'm currently running 11 levels with 256 offset and 6 pointer maps to save disk space. Is that reasonable?

Thanks
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. However, you can optimize pointerscanner to alleviate those times.

Try 8 levels with 100000 offests using two pointerscans from two diffirent computers. Limit number of nodes to 3-5.
NoobInTraining
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i'll give that a try.

I have another question actually; this is my first time using the pointermaps and I couldn't find any info on them in the help file, so I'm not sure I'm using them right.

I found the value I was looking for and generated a pointer map for it and saved the file. I then got the pointer changed and repeated the process 5 more times. When doing the pointer scan I selected "compare results with other saved pointermaps"; then I added in each pointermap file along with the address that held the value when the pointer map was generated. Is this correct?

So far my 11 level scan has been running for 2 hours and I have 13 results - a fantastic reduction in disk space!
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best results with fewer pointermaps, you want to ensure that everything is the most different you can get.

If you have two PCs running different versions of windows, then two pointermaps should be all you need! Otherwise, at least restart the game, go to a new level/zone, find the pointer with as many things different as possible.

but other than that, you are using them correctly. 256 was an awfully small offset.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to keep running the game after the pointermap has been generated (the progressbar at the start)

you are using the pointermaps correct.

also, when using pointermaps, you don't have to run the game at all. (You can even run it at another system) Just tick use saved pointermap and load a pointermap as well.
tip: pick the pointermap with the smallest size as base, it will generally result in shorter scantimes

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news!
NoobInTraining
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
you don't have to keep running the game after the pointermap has been generated (the progressbar at the start)

you are using the pointermaps correct.

also, when using pointermaps, you don't have to run the game at all. (You can even run it at another system) Just tick use saved pointermap and load a pointermap as well.
tip: pick the pointermap with the smallest size as base, it will generally result in shorter scantimes

OK so would my workflow look like this:

* Start game, connect cheat engine, find value at address
* Generate a pointermap from that address
* Get the pointer to change, find address again, generate pointermap from the new address (rinse repeat a few times)

* Then I can copy my pointer maps to another computer, run cheat engine pointerscanner and use the "saved pointermap" option to load the smallest pointermap - for the scan I will be searching for the address that was used to generate that pointer map?
* I can then add additional pointermaps using the compare option and put in the addresses that were used to generate those pointer maps?

Does that sound right?

-----------
Edit:

Thanks cooleko btw, I have since run an 11 level 1000 offset scan and limited nodes to 3 - it completed in less than 15 minutes and I now have 6000 pointers that seem to work even between different computers! Queue Kool and the gang "celebrate good times c'mon!" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: