Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi Level Pointers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Multi Level Pointers Reply with quote

I've been messing around with cheat engine a lot lately, more specifically with finding multi level pointers. I've made some pretty good progress and learned quite a bit in general, but I have run into some issues with certain multi level pointers.

I'm going to use one example of a multi level pointer that is giving me issues.

So, I found my multi level pointer listed below.
6cb400 +2c+360+14+14+b4

This will always display the correct value, however, whenever I try to use this pointer in my trainer, I get compile errors. I'm assuming this is simply the wrong pointer, but the problem is, it is literally the only pointer found, that will work. I've tested TONS of different promising pointers, but it won't even compile properly, and no method will seem to find any valid pointers.

I've read tons of tutorials and watched some videos about multi level pointers, and I have used the exact methods to find the pointers. These methods have worked about 90-95% of the time without issues. The problem is, pointer scans on certain addresses, do not give me correct/working pointers.

-Is there more advanced/better methods I could be trying to find correct pointers?
-Is there an easier way to find the correct offsets?

Finding what accesses the initial address in some cases, does not give me the proper offsets it seems. For example, finding what accesses my initial address gives me the offset "B4". I'm pretty much positive that is an incorrect offset. I narrowed it down, and tried every pointer with the ending offset "B4". The only working result was the address posted above.
It is not even the right address though, because it will not compile properly. I've tried completely different offsets/Base Addresses, and it will not seem to give me any working pointers. I have found addresses that will work for myself on my pc, but will not work for others, meaning they are clearly wrong pointers.

If anyone actually took the time to read my issue, and can help me understand what I might be doing wrong, and how I could do this properly, I would really appreciate it. I think there must be some method I'm not yet aware of that will have a better chance of producing correct pointers/offsets.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you dereferencing the addresses as you traverse the pointer path? If you're not and you're literally doing 6cb400+2c+360+14+14+b4, you'll pretty much never get the right pointer.

If you have the base address and all the offsets in CE and that points to your address correctly, then those offsets are correct and it's something you're doing in your code that's wrong. Posting your code here (or at least an SSCCE) would be helpful.

weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
Are you dereferencing the addresses as you traverse the pointer path? If you're not and you're literally doing 6cb400+2c+360+14+14+b4, you'll pretty much never get the right pointer.

If you have the base address and all the offsets in CE and that points to your address correctly, then those offsets are correct and it's something you're doing in your code that's wrong. Posting your code here (or at least an SSCCE) would be helpful.

Yes I'm doing it correctly, no worries there. I'm using Game Trainer Studio to make a trainer so no code to post. I'm starting to work on a CE trainer though, and a c++ project soon.

It's possible it's a glitch/issue with Game Trainer Studio, however this same issue happened before with a Base Address/Offsets being correct, but not compiling with GTS. I later found a working Base Address/Offsets and it compiled fine. I'm wondering if that is an issue with the Offsets, or an issue with Game Trainer Studio.

My real question I guess, is how can I find the proper offsets? Even just one offset helps the search a lot. Accessing the initial address and finding the offsets that way doesn't seem to work sometimes, because it gives wrong offsets. Is there better ways to find correct offsets, so I can simply use the pointer scanner, and search for the address/offsets to narrow down the search for the correct Base Pointer/Offsets?

Last edited by weedfanatic on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean with compiling? If there is a compile error, it doesn't mean the pointer is wrong, but it means the code is wrong

if the pointer is always correct when used inside cheat engine, then look into how you use it in your own code: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=422516

edit: you used find what accesses and saw b4, the pointer that works ends with b4. But why do you then assume that offset is wrong? (you do know that ce's offset notation is in hexadecimal right?)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply. Maybe it is an issue with Game Trainer Studio then. In GTS you add a multi level pointer like this:
6cb400 +2c+360+14+14+b4
Then you compile the exe, and in this case it gives compile errors, because the offsets won't be accepted I guess. Like I said this pointer works and displays fine in Cheat Engine, but will not compile in GTS. I had this issue before, but I tried again, and finally found a different pointer, and it compiled fine.

That makes me wonder if there is a problem with that pointer, or simply a problem with Game Trainer Studio.

I've already done this successfully with about 20 multi level pointers. They all work fine. But this one simply won't.

Edit- The Reason I assume b4 is wrong, is because I do a pointer scan for the last offset "B4" in this case, and I have tried every result that has the offset B4, and nothing works. Another reason I believe this is the wrong offset, is because I did this for another address (got the last offset by accessing the address) and it turned out to be a wrong Last Offset, because I found the correct one semi by luck/ trial and error.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps it's a parser issue and it doesn't like the space?

what is the error you got?

weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
perhaps it's a parser issue and it doesn't like the space?

what is the error you got?

Game Trainer Studio is kind of dumb, I'm just going to abandon it. xD I'd rather work with the cheat engine trainer maker for now anyways.

No specific error, just says failed to compile. I've ran into a lot of different pointers that will not compile within the project. I've always ended up finding the one single multi level pointer that works in the end though, and that is why I don't understand this problem.

I still find it odd some pointers will compile and some will not. I know the offsets are the problem (for sure with GTS) anyways, because the Base Address is the same for pretty much every pointer I have that works. Even for the pointer that is giving me errors now is the same Base Address. That leads me to believe something has to be wrong with the offsets, or at least with Game Trainer Studio using certain offsets. Sorry that's the best I can explain. xD

Edit- Do you think that just sounds like a problem with GTS itself? Or is it possible certain pointers/offsets cannot be used at all?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering, do the pointers that do 'work' have characters like a to f in them or just numbers only? (and you're sure they worked properly in the game? )

try adding 0x in front of each offset or convert them to decimal first

might be a gts error, but if a pointer works in ce it should just work (it's just following a path)

weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
just wondering, do the pointers that do 'work' have characters like a to f in them or just numbers only? (and you're sure they worked properly in the game? )

try adding 0x in front of each offset or convert them to decimal first

might be a gts error, but if a pointer works in ce it should just work (it's just following a path)

Yes they are in Hex not Decimal.

Ex- endless.exe+2cb400= 6CB400+2c+6c8+3ac+734+63c
^That compiles but only works on my pc not for others.
This does not Ex- endless.exe+2cb400= 6CB400+2c+360+14+14+B4
^This does display proper in cheat engine though, but won't compile in gts! It works on others pcs also, but won't compile.

Ok I'll try that out by the way, thanks.

Edit- Ok the offsets needs to be in Hex like I thought, decimal doesn't work.

So if this multi level pointer works in Cheat Engine, but not Game Trainer Studio, It's probably just an issue with GTS I guess? I'll have to mess with the Cheat Engine Trainer Maker later, and try to compile an exe with it later.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try 0b4 instead if B4

weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
try 0b4 instead if B4

Sorry I'm a little slow to reply.

Thank you very much for your help, it worked! That's weird it needed a 0 in front of the last offset. Is it just an error with the logic of Game Trainer Studio then do you think?

I guess I will just need to do this for any other pointers I come across like this also. Thank you, this will help me get my other needed pointers as well! Huge help!
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen that behavior before where hexadecimal values where wrong when they didn't start with a number, it's a parser thing

weedfanatic
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
i've seen that behavior before where hexadecimal values where wrong when they didn't start with a number, it's a parser thing

Ah ok , that's good to know the reason behind it. Thanks for letting me know, and for all your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and others on this forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: