Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-level pointer problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryP
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Multi-level pointer problem Reply with quote

I am sure this question is an easy answer for many but I am completely stuck. As I land on my third pointer find, I select "Find out what accesses this address," and I recieve 2 results immediatley that give me the same hex number to search for. Once I search for this number, I recieve 10 results, and not one of them is green nor has any results when I F5 ("Find out what accesses this address") it.

I have done this search several times, closing the game and re-starting it as well as using a new table, but alas, nothing fixes this.

Am I not supposed to look at this value as a pointer, or am I doing something wrong during searching?

Thank you for anyone who can help me.

Untitled 392.png
 Description:
This is the F5 result window on the newly added address, with nothing to show.
 Filesize:  9.48 KB
 Viewed:  9208 Time(s)

Untitled 392.png

Untitled 391.png
 Description:
This is the result list, with the first address added manually below.
 Filesize:  35.82 KB
 Viewed:  9208 Time(s)

Untitled 391.png

Rydian
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get any other codes that show up as accessing or writing to it in various situations, like saving+exiting and starting a new game if that's a thing, or exiting the game?
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no, I have no other codes in exiting or restarting the cheat engine or the game, but it seems everytime I reach the third pointer I am given zero codes.
Rydian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can use the pointer scanner and see what that gets you. Tell it what the last 2/3 offsets are and stuff to filter it down easily.
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydian, I tried what you suggested, which did lead me further into pointers, but from closing the game, re-opening it, and starting a new profile, the values once again change to question marks (??). Thank you for your help, by the way :D
Rydian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What max offset, what depth?
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for the REALLY late reply. Building a house takes a lot of time and energy ;).

If your still willing to help, I recently did a new pointer scan at 100 max offset value, and found a (and several others) pointers that worked correctly....Yet I am lost now, as the pointer scan result has nothing accessing it.

Depth? I am not sure what your asking, but here is a screen shot of the pointer scan options.

Untitled 393.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.04 KB
 Viewed:  8673 Time(s)

Untitled 393.png

Rydian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pointer scan option is used to try to find working pointers. Things you don't need to do any manual involvement in to make them deeper.

If those pointers you found don't stick after some restarts, you can try scanning with a higher offset (1024 or something), as multi-level pointers can have bigger offsets than 100 usually.

How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sounds good. I will get back to you when I can on whether or not I found the pointers.

Also, thank you very much for your help.
Smellyhobo101
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more suggestions:

- Check the box "Pointers must end with specific offsets" and fill in any offsets you've found already. Make sure you enter in the very last offset atleast. This will filter out a lot of wrong results and will let you scan at higher max levels.

- As Rydian said, try raising the max offset value. I'd recommend starting with 256 and 512. The offset value is in decimal, so 512 will get offsets as high as 0x200 and 1024 0x400.

- Its also very important to raise your "Max level" if you aren't getting any valid results. There may not be any valid pointers with a max level of 5. Just raise it in increments of 1, as putting it too high can make your scans take hours. And make sure you fill in your end offsets before raising the max level. It will cut your scan times down by quite a bit.

- Try checking "Improve pointerscan with gathered heap data". From my experience with certain games this will sometimes give perfect results in a single scan.

- Once you've narrowed down your results a fair bit, you can "stress test" your pointers by checking the "repeat rescan until stopped" checkbox when you are rescaning your pointer list. Then go in game and do a bunch of stuff while its rescanning. Sometimes bad pointers will randomly point to wrong values for a split second. This should get rid of those. Just be careful because this can cause cheat engine to run out of memory and crash very quickly if you have too many results. If you have over 50 results check the "delay rescan for [1] seconds" box so that it doesnt run out as fast. If you're still around 500 or 1000 results i wouldnt do this. Or if you do just be ready for a crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: