Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cheat engine without admin rights.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahe4
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: cheat engine without admin rights. Reply with quote

hi,
i was discussing with a friend, how every program that reads ram outside it's own program needs admin rights to do so.
then he showed me cheat engine 6.1 portable...
and it works without ever asking me for admin rights...
i can scan and change any value i want.
can someone tell me how this is working?
is there some kind of windows security hole or something?
i want to know how i can prevent this from happening on my pc.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need admin privileges for debugging but not for simply memory modification i guess.

I have seen some trainers work despite not being run in admin mode so OpenProcess probably works without admin. Some access permissions probably.

You want to prevent what ? Stop CE from being run without admin ? I don't think that is possible, you would have to change windows architecture/kernel or mess with CE through a separate program to stop its functionality. Why would you even want to do that, i have no idea

mahe4
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:
You need admin privileges for debugging but not for simply memory modification i guess.

I have seen some trainers work despite not being run in admin mode so OpenProcess probably works without admin. Some access permissions probably.

You want to prevent what ? Stop CE from being run without admin ? I don't think that is possible, you would have to change windows architecture/kernel or mess with CE through a separate program to stop its functionality. Why would you even want to do that, i have no idea

i don't want to stop CE specifically, i want to stop any program to do that without my permission...
and since people in this forum have quite a bit knowledge about CE and processes, and i was already registered here, i thought, i try to ask around here first.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

processes running under the same user account can access eachother (if they have the same privilege level)
try running processes you want safe from another user account (run as... feature of windows)

perhaps you can change the local security policy and change the policies regarding memory access to admin only

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
mahe4
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
processes running under the same user account can access eachother (if they have the same privilege level)
try running processes you want safe from another user account (run as... feature of windows)

perhaps you can change the local security policy and change the policies regarding memory access to admin only

thank you that already helped a little.
the problem i have now is this:
i'm searching under local policies in user rights assignments through all the policies, but i can't find a policy, that would fit this specific right i want to change.
you don't accidently know which policy is responsible for opening and changing process data, do you?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, perhaps it's something hidden well, requires you to add a whole new policy tree, or it's just not available (You could write a kernelmode driver that register an ObCallback and deny it there, but that'd be a bit extreme)

An alternate solution is just run everything you don't trust inside a virtual machine

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
mahe4
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
nope, perhaps it's something hidden well, requires you to add a whole new policy tree, or it's just not available (You could write a kernelmode driver that register an ObCallback and deny it there, but that'd be a bit extreme)

An alternate solution is just run everything you don't trust inside a virtual machine

thanks for the response.
or i just start it as another user, as already suggested.

but still thanks to you two for responsing to my request, i really appretiate it!
Rydian
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Sandboxie (and perhaps other sandbox software) can be used for this if you don't want the performance hit of a VM, if all you need is separation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: