Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty finding values(4,2,8 byte) for some games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matteo32
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Difficulty finding values(4,2,8 byte) for some games Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I completed the first 5 steps of the cheat engine tutorial and learned how to find values like money or other useful numbers in game. I don't want to be the ultimate cheat engine master, I learned just what's useful for my purposes.
So I tried the technques explained but it seems that those don't work the same for every game. For example I have a recent game called "To end all wars", I tried and failed to find the way to cheat money. The number is a simple three digit number like 800,827,856 etc.
I tried all types of scans (float, double, 4,2,8 bytes, unknown initial value, truncated, rounded) but it seems that the number is hidden or needs a special formula I don't really know how to say that Confused . In other games a simple 4 byte scan, searching the exact number, can solve my problem, but I noticed that doesn't work with every game around.
How can I recognize that a number needs a "special treatment" instead of a simple 4 byte scan, or float or anything else?

Thank you for reply, I hope you can help me Very Happy
Geri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have completed the first 5 steps, then you know how to scan for unknown values. Try increased/decreased searches and if that doesn't work either, try changed/unchanged search. You can never know that the number that is displayed is stored exactly that way in the memory too.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
matteo32
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
If you have completed the first 5 steps, then you know how to scan for unknown values. Try increased/decreased searches and if that doesn't work either, try changed/unchanged search. You can never know that the number that is displayed is stored exactly that way in the memory too.

Thanks for your reply! Very Happy
The game is turn based so every end turn the value increase, I already tried unknown value with the increased option, but the list of values is too long even after 20 turns I didn't manage to detect the right value. I didn't try the changed/unchanged scan but I think it's useless because it is even more vague than the unknown-increase filter. Confused

So I have to try and retry(hoping in a good luck) till I find the value?
Geri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this game at all, so I can't tell you what to do specifically.

But if you can decrease the value by buying some stuff, try that too, don't just search for increasing values all the time. Also use the "unchanged" filter when the money is not changing, to filter out a lot of garbage.

Searching for decreasing values is usually easier, there are fewer results.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:

matteo32
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
I don't know this game at all, so I can't tell you what to do specifically.

But if you can decrease the value by buying some stuff, try that too, don't just search for increasing values all the time. Also use the "unchanged" filter when the money is not changing, to filter out a lot of garbage.

Searching for decreasing values is usually easier, there are fewer results.

Thank you! I will try that soon Very Happy
Sohail__Saha
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that the money value changes after each turn. So, I guess the address of the value also changes. That means none of the addresses that you have got on the first scan will be the address in the second turn. In that case, set data type as 'All' and scan. Then go back to the game. If you have paused the game, unpause it. Then turn off your monitor for 10 minutes. Then, do the scan for the second type for an unchanged value. Repeat these steps until you get just one value. Then, find the pointer of the address using pointer scanner. A good video tutorial to use pointer scanner is given by Chase Payne here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lCPKeV2t0
All these may take a long time, but this WILL WORK.
Also, highlight the 'CopyOnWrite' option and uncheck the 'Writable' option.

Capture.JPG
 Description:
Look at this picture if you don't know the 'CopyOnWrite' and 'Writable' box.
 Filesize:  181.81 KB
 Viewed:  64240 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

matteo32
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohail__Saha wrote:
You said that the money value changes after each turn. So, I guess the address of the value also changes. That means none of the addresses that you have got on the first scan will be the address in the second turn. In that case, set data type as 'All' and scan. Then go back to the game. If you have paused the game, unpause it. Then turn off your monitor for 10 minutes. Then, do the scan for the second type for an unchanged value. Repeat these steps until you get just one value. Then, find the pointer of the address using pointer scanner. A good video tutorial to use pointer scanner is given by Chase Payne here:

All these may take a long time, but this WILL WORK.
Also, highlight the 'CopyOnWrite' option and uncheck the 'Writable' option.

Thank you for the trick! Very Happy
I'm still struggling and I'm not so good with these things, but I will try.
But why I have to turn off the monitor for 10 minutes? Confused
Geri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohail__Saha wrote:
You said that the money value changes after each turn. So, I guess the address of the value also changes.

This is generally not true. Just because the value is changing, it doesn't mean that the address is also changing. Actually there are very few games that do that.

Sohail__Saha
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Geri Yeah, but still, it is better not to take chances when there is a better option available.

@matteo32 You have to turn off your monitor for 10 minutes because if you keep your computer idle for 10 minutes (which is required to filter the unwanted addresses by 'unchanged value' search) with the monitor on, it will be a waste of electricity, isn't it?? Try what I have told and then reply...

Geri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much more likely that he can find the value with simple increased/decreased or changed/unchanged searches. Using XOR encryption for example is a common method, but changed/unchanged search can deal with it.

Sohail__Saha
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Geri That's what I recommended.
Geri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but in that case, the address is not changing and the method is different.

If the address is really changing anyway, there is no guarantee that it will change only when he is hitting the next turn. It could be as might as well changed in every 10 seconds or anything similar. This is very rare and to find a value like that, you probably need more advanced methods than simple scanning.

Sohail__Saha
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Geri Yeah, it is better to start with simple methods and then to move on to complex methods.

@matteo32 Did you try??

Varus
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i hope you guys are still around. i usually dont have problems figuring out values in games but in this game i cant find shit.
type, initial unknown value or anything else doesnt work with this game and i dont get why Evil or Very Mad it should work but it doesnt... any guesses or help?
peddroelm
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varus wrote:
ok i hope you guys are still around. i usually dont have problems figuring out values in games but in this game i cant find shit.
type, initial unknown value or anything else doesnt work with this game and i dont get why Evil or Very Mad it should work but it doesnt... any guesses or help?

One weird game I tried to mess with was eador MBW (tried to figure out population growth mechanics) .

It stored all numeric variables AS STRINGS in memory, and to be a complete dick about it the address of the string would change each time the variable was altered..

So one idea would be to do string search for your values ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: