Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huge error that has recently been plaguing me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PvtVain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Huge error that has recently been plaguing me Reply with quote

Okay, so first off. The main use I get out of CE right now is Dark Souls II, however that is not of the main topic.

In Dark Souls II, I am constantly alt-tabbing (Playing in windowed, so I don't have to minimize constantly.) turning on scripts, or changing values, etc. And that doesn't sound like an issue at all right?

Well, here is the deal. Every so often, which it has been happening quite a lot recently, is this really odd bug. I can't really explain the process of how I get it to happen because it is kinda random.

But what it does essentially is, after a shit ton of time manually enabling scripts, double clicking to change values, double clicking anything in the address area, etc. Just doing stuff, CE likes to break all functionality with my PC.

The biggest problem, is my mouse doesn't seem to register with anything, however in-game it works perfectly fine. So it seems like, something fucks up down the line and suddenly nothing works. This is bad enough to the point where I have to hard boot my PC and I really don't like doing that. And I'd like to keep using CE, but I literally cannot figure out how to fix this problem. And It is really fucking annoying.

- And to note, I've manually (albeit painfully) ended the cheatengine process, and that doesn't fix it. I've tried ending the games process, still nothing. Tried shutting down both of them and still nothing. And finally, I even tried restarting my explorer process. But in the end, it didn't work either, forcing me to hard boot my PC as explained a few moments ago.

TL:DR - CE breaks my computer by doing too much things and I can't figure out how to prevent it.
PvtVain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously no one has a solution?
Geri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE will normally not break just because you do lots of stuff. It's much more likely that the cheat itself or the game is doing it. Unless you can reproduce the problem with another cheat table and another process.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
PvtVain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
CE will normally not break just because you do lots of stuff. It's much more likely that the cheat itself or the game is doing it. Unless you can reproduce the problem with another cheat table and another process.

I know it doesn't just 'break' – that is specifically why I came here to ask about it; furthermore, to answer your question—yes, I can reproduce this with any other game, although I don't use cheatengine as much anymore due to this horrendous bug. None the less, I would ask for you to at least take a look into it, and try to find some solution. If not, I'll deal with having to power down my PC every time it happens.
Geri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Dark Byte has a clue about what's causing this, he will probably need more info for a bugreport. OS (32-bit or 64-bit is important) and how to reproduce the problem (if he can). Eg you said that you use scripts and change values, but those are 2 different functions, so you need to check them one by one. If any of those scripts are using the debugger, it's also important. So just try to break it down to a step by step procedure to see if it can be reproduced.

And it's also worth to check both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of CE, to see if both of them has the same problem.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your system overclocked? CE tends to use features overclock stability tests do not test for(debugging features of the cpu), and sometimes that causes issues

What kind of graphics card do you have?
Is the latest driver installed?
Processor?
Which windows version? All patches applied?
Is it a legal version (just asking since there are a few not so legal windows versions out there with embedded rootkits and ce is one of the few things that can see and mess with them)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
PvtVain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Is your system overclocked? CE tends to use features overclock stability tests do not test for(debugging features of the cpu), and sometimes that causes issues

What kind of graphics card do you have?
Is the latest driver installed?
Processor?
Which windows version? All patches applied?
Is it a legal version (just asking since there are a few not so legal windows versions out there with embedded rootkits and ce is one of the few things that can see and mess with them)

Overclocked? Last I checked it shouldn't be.
I use an AMD Radeon 6xxx Series.
Yes, but I don't see how that matters.
Intel, i7-2600 CPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and no not 'all' updates. I don't update every time unless it is absolutely necessary.

And to answer your last question, yes it is a legal version. The serial key resides on the side of my PC in the form of a neat little sticker from the manufacturer.

And to answer Geri's question, it's just in general. Stuff breaks, hell just earlier I tried playing a bit, messed around. And I hardly even did anything with Cheat Engine and it still broke, which means there is something else I have to look for, in terms of figuring out the source. But now it just eludes me.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using CE 6.4 ? (In 6.3 and earlier CE's 64-bit version doesn't work well when something injects DLL's into it, like gui shell extension)

Try running the 32-bit version of CE only and see if that makes a difference

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
PvtVain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Are you using CE 6.4 ? (In 6.3 and earlier CE's 64-bit version doesn't work well when something injects DLL's into it, like gui shell extension)

Try running the 32-bit version of CE only and see if that makes a difference

After doing some more testing there are a few things to note.

Firstly. It seems it doesn't matter whether or not it's 64-bit or 32-bit, the bug will happen regardless. Another thing is that, earlier when it happened again, I manually shut down DarkSoulsII.exe and it fixed it for a total of two seconds before going back into a broken state.

So I'm back to square one on trying to find the root of the problem.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is just specific to DS2 then its probably because the new versions of ds2 have added this weird anti-cheat that crashes the game with alt+tabs at random points in game. Using a cheat table and constantly alt+tabbing i guess that could cause the weird bug to happen if not crash.

What you are experiencing though i have seen it happen when i am debugging games but it does resolve itself when you close the game or alt+tab or windows+d a few times and you get the mouse back.

Also if you have some mods installed for windows that could interfere and cause the issue. I don't really think its an issue with Cheat engine but something with your gfx card or other programs you installed on your windows. If you have an antivirus installed that is more than likely the culprit because AVs block a lot of normal function without letting you know.

If you can, make a fresh install of windows without installing anything else and then see if this happens. You can do it in a VM for testing.

PvtVain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so, did some more testing and even installed CE 6.3. And It looks like Dark Souls II is the problem here. It kinda isn't surprising considering how badly this game is made. Oh well, guess this thread can go be deleted or locked since I've found the issue really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: