Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer changing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawnova
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Pointer changing question Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the value of if the inventory screen is open in a game, I did searches for 0= off then 1=on which eventually yielded 30 results all close together that always pointed the right value.
Problem is, after doing a pointer scan to some of the values, the found pointer sometimes becomes ??????? instead of the right value, this happens when the game is launched and does not change until restart, I've checked the address that i used to find the pointer and it is the correct value.
A game restart will 70% of the time cause the pointer to be correct.

So my question is basically why is this happening?

Some more info:
I'm using a level 5 pointer, 1 byte (also tried 4 byte)
I've tried about 5 of the 30 addresses
Doing "find what accesses this address" always returns 0 results when i search the hex.

Any help would be great. =)
abystus
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pointer changing question Reply with quote

Spawnova wrote:
I'm trying to find the value of if the inventory screen is open in a game, I did searches for 0= off then 1=on which eventually yielded 30 results all close together that always pointed the right value.
Problem is, after doing a pointer scan to some of the values, the found pointer sometimes becomes ??????? instead of the right value, this happens when the game is launched and does not change until restart, I've checked the address that i used to find the pointer and it is the correct value.
A game restart will 70% of the time cause the pointer to be correct.

So my question is basically why is this happening?

Some more info:
I'm using a level 5 pointer, 1 byte (also tried 4 byte)
I've tried about 5 of the 30 addresses
Doing "find what accesses this address" always returns 0 results when i search the hex.

Any help would be great. =)

Have you re-scanned the pointers you found already with the new address after the game changes it? If not, follow these steps:
  • 1] Find your address.
  • 2] Right-click your address in the list and choose "Pointer scan for this address", leave everything default, and save your file somewhere when it asks (you will want to keep this file name unique as it denotes a step in scanning).
  • 3] Let the scan run until completion, then Cheat Engine will show you a list of pointers that "point" to your address.
  • 4] Leave Cheat Engine and the pointer scan window open, close the game and reopen, re-attach Cheat Engine.
  • 5] Find your address again (should be different this time), and once you do go to the pointer scan window again and choose "Rescan Memory ..." and enter your new address. Give it another unique file name this time.
  • 6] Let the scan complete.
  • 7] Repeat steps 4-6 (Unique Names) about 3-5 times.
  • 8] Choose one of the top listings (double click it) as your pointer (make sure the address value isn't fluttery/blinking in and out).
  • 9] Save cheat table, and check to see if that pointer is pointing to the correct address as you move around through the game (go to different locations, restart game, etc...). If not, repeat steps 4-6 (Unique Names) a few times in the new areas to make sure you get one that works everywhere (usually the first time around you should be good).

Hope that helps.
Spawnova
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more specific on that, I did the pointer scan until there was less than 100 results, the problem was sometimes when I started up the game all the pointers lead to nothing, then other times all those wrong pointers became correct.

However, if I found the current address even though all the pointers I found said ???????? and I used this address with the very first scan, I could find new pointers. These pointers would also become ???????? randomly on game start up to though.

So basically there is always working pointers in the first scan I did but if I go any further in the scanning process the pointers will eventually become nothing when the game restarts, it's wierd.

Keep in mind this only happens about 30% of the time, the pointer usually lasts through restarts but will sometimes not and all the pointers in the last scan become nothing.

Hope I explained that well enough.
abystus
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try starting over, but this time change the "Pointerscanner scanoptions" from the following:

to

This will make the scan take longer (more levels to go through), but there is most likely a constant pointer to be found among those results. Usually games don't go beyond the 5 offset threshold that is default in cheat engine, but there are exceptions. If you don't find a constant pointer with 8 levels, you can always go up from there (scan may take a super long time to complete). Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: