Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheat Engine comes bundled with crapware?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asg0noir
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Cheat Engine comes bundled with crapware? Reply with quote

I just purchased a new computer and went to download Cheat Engine.

New version was out (6.3) and i made sure i downloaded it from the right source cheat engine dot org)

The install dialog kept "suggesting" additional software i should download and the license agreement made sure to tell me about these (i guess thats good?) however i declined and unticked anything i could to avoid it being installed.

Afterwards i went to check up on what was installed and i found three applications.

Are you really that desperately in need of cash that you resort to selling your product to crapware manufacturers? Have you tried asking for donations instead?

Goobzos products are all flagged as malware by Norton and McAfee. Now i can understand some sceptisism towards them seeing as Cheat Engine is flagged aswell, but i didn't come here to download Goobzoo products, i came here to download Cheat Engine. I can make an educated guess and determine that the software i came here to download isnt malicous. But i can't do the same for third party bundleware that is crammed down my throat despite my every action to avoid it during install.

Please have some respect for your great product and look elsewhere for monetary income.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me which url you downloaded? (Check your download log not the url the page shows as it randomly shows a different installer)
Also, did the installer have a skip/next or a back/next button at the bottom?
The skip/next installs the offer if you click next. For that one you must click skip as there is no uncheck on those dialogs

And what is the exact name of the program it installed?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
asg0noir
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That i can; it's still in chromes download list: ( i cant post URLs yet, sorry for the obfuscating)

mirror2. cheatengine. org/download/d2/CheatEngine63.exe

It did have various skip and decline buttons. But i ended up with the whole Goobzo suite of applications.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the d2 is the one with skip/next
It will install the advertisers offer if you click next as this one doesn't have checkboxes for no install, just some configuration options. Always click skip

I don't really like this one myself though, and it already has a very low percentage chance of showing. You just got unlucky and most perhaps didn't notice the fine print near the bottom that says clicking next will install the offer. My apologies for that

I'm tempted to remove this installer as when i started their offers where clear but the more recent updates changed the offers to look like this crap

Oh yes, could you uninstall that offer with the windows uninstall programs panel?

Last edited by Dark Byte on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
asg0noir
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Yes the d2 is the one with skip/next
It will install the advertisers offer if you click next as this one doesn't have checkboxes for no install, just some configuration options. Always click skip

I don't really like this one myself though, and it already has a very low percentage chance of showing. You just got unlucky and most perhaps didn't notice the fine print near the bottom that says clicking next will install the offer. My apologies for that

I'm tempted to remove this installer as when i started their offers where clear but the more recent updates changed the offers to look like this crap

Oh yes, could you uninstall it with the windows uninstall programs panel?

I think all the applications were removed from uninstall. They certainly removed a lot of registry entries.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so at least the uninstall can still be trusted. You're sure you didn't get left with new toolbars?
Also, if you feel like it could you test that installer again and make sure to always click the bottom left skip button? And check if it does install something besides ce? I occasionally test that installer by clicking skip to make sure myself, but just in case they filter my ip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: