Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reliably call a function on memory change.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reliably call a function on memory change. Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to create a program that will allow me to call a function that I've programmed to alter the memory of the program in a specific manner.

My current application reads the memory using the "ReadProcessMemory" api. It stores the value of the location to a variable. It will then check the last value of the variable with the current value of the variable, if they are different it calls a function passing the variable as a parameter.

All of that works fine and dandy and does what I wanted it to do. However, because I don't know how to reliably read the memory location, sometimes the memory does change, but the application doesn't know.

I've read a bit online about something called a "code cave". I think I need to do this but I don't know. Also if I do, is there a simple tutorial that will show me how?

P.s. I usually do my work in vb.net, I know some C# and some basic C++ but vb.net has always done everything that I've needed, because I've only needed to write to the memory at a certain address that I can defeat DMA with using the read and write process memory apis. Which I guess writing a code cave is just recording the bytes, allocating some memory, and storing your function in the allocated memory location, and have it called by adding a jump to the newly allocated memory, then heading back to the program's loop by jumping back to the next bit of code to be called.

Can someone help me out with this?
jucce
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
All of that works fine and dandy and does what I wanted it to do. However, because I don't know how to reliably read the memory location, sometimes the memory does change, but the application doesn't know.
Do you mean that you want to monitor a specific memory address for changes? In that case what you can do is create a timer that triggers each second and checks the value for changes.
Gniarf
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my assumption is correct, Mal1t1a already has a timer that periodically reads his target's memory, but sometimes his variable changes several times between each reads.

So how to "Reliably call a function on memory change"? Well the easiest way I know consist in turning your program into a dll, injecting it into the game, and hooking every function that writes your variable so that they call a function of that dll. That function will tell your program that the variable changed, and provide the new value.
Problem is that if the function is shared (ex: updates the player's position, but also those of the ennemies) you'll have to sort things out before calling or not MyDll.dll.UpdateMyVariable.

Anyway the approach above is done that way (sorting player vs enemies excluded):
1-Turn your program into a .dll.
2-In your dll export a function that will take the value of the thing you want to monitor as a parameter. In C it would be something like:
Code:
__declspec( dllexport ) stdcall void UpdateMyVariable(const int NewValue);
3-Stick cheat engine to your game, find your variable, then "find out what writes on this address".
4-Each line in the "find out what writes..." window will roughly look like "mov [eax],ebx". Click on it->show disassembler, then tools->autoassemble->template->cheat table framework.
5-Make sure "mov [eax],ebx" is selected in the disassembler then click then template->code injection.
6-In that pile of autogenerate code, locate your "mov [eax],ebx" and write:
Code:
push ebx
call UpdateMyVariable //or MyDll.dll.UpdateMyVariable
just under.
7-Repeat steps 5-6 for each line in the "find out what writes..." window.
8-At the beginning of in the [enable] section, add 'loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")'. If CE complains about not understanding what UpdateMyVariable means, you need to make a separate script to load your dll, something like:
Code:
[enable]
loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")
[disable]
and activate that script before validating the script that uses UpdateMyVariable.
9-Well if cheat engine agrees to add the big script to your cheat table, it should be good.

Apparently it is possible to write dlls in visual basic, but since I don't know how to call a function from a vb dll in assembly, I'd rewrite your program in C/C++.
Pingo
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gniarf
Thats the method i usually use aswell but never in a dll.
I hook the function in C# or VB and store the single or multiple addresses.
You can write managed dlls and inject them using a bootstrap dll or loading it directly from memory. My injector uses the memory method.

Mal1t1a
See if you can find a static pointer first (easiest).
If thats not possible, you'l need to use code injection and store
the register (hardest but better).

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingo wrote:
You can write managed dlls and inject them using a bootstrap dll
Ah yes, a proxy dll, hadn't thought about it. I'll keep that in a corner of my memory, thanks!

@Mal1t1a: Thinking again about it, there is a method that is at least equally simple to reliably call a function on memory change: using hardware breakpoints. The idea is write and inject a dll, set up us the bomb *ahem* the breakpoint when DllMain(...) is called, and when the breakpoint is hit do whatever you want to do when the variable changes.
Setting a breakpoint is easy, there are tons of sample sources codes available on the net. (I use this one)
Handling what to do when the break is hit is done that way:
Code:

HWHooker TheHook;
PVOID ExceptionHandle;

LONG CALLBACK ExceptionHandler(PEXCEPTION_POINTERS ExceptionInfo)
{
   if (ExceptionInfo->ExceptionRecord->ExceptionAddress==reinterpret_cast<PVOID>(MONITORED_ADDRESS)&&
      ExceptionInfo->ExceptionRecord->ExceptionCode==EXCEPTION_SINGLE_STEP)
   { //if it's a breakpoint at MONITORED_ADDRESS...
      //do what you want with MONITORED_ADDRESS

//......

//job done, go play!
      return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_EXECUTION;
   }

//wrong exception
   return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH;
}

BOOL APIENTRY DllMain( HMODULE hModule, DWORD ul_reason_for_call,LPVOID lpReserved)
{
   switch (ul_reason_for_call)
   {
   case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
      {
         ExceptionHandle=AddVectoredExceptionHandler(1337,ExceptionHandler);
         //ExceptionHandler is the function that will be called when ANY breakpoint or ANY other exception occurs

//set up your breakpoint here
         TheHook.SetBreakpoint(HWHooker::WRITE,VARIABLE_SIZE,reinterpret_cast<void*>(MONITORED_ADDRESS));

break;
      }
   case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
   case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
   case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
      break;
   }
   return TRUE;
}

The problem with this approach is that:
-Games with any decent DRM or anti-cheat protections will crash on you for using breakpoints.
-If MONITORED_ADDRESS is written very often, it may cause a severe slowdown.
-When your variable gets reallocated, you have to manually update the breakpoint with the new address.
But on the other hand you don't have to worry about shared functions.
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jucce wrote:
Mal1t1a wrote:
Do you mean that you want to monitor a specific memory address for changes? In that case what you can do is create a timer that triggers each second and checks the value for changes.

Yeah I did do that, it's not reliable.

Gniarf wrote:
If my assumption is correct, Mal1t1a already has a timer that periodically reads his target's memory, but sometimes his variable changes several times between each reads.

So how to "Reliably call a function on memory change"? Well the easiest way I know consist in turning your program into a dll, injecting it into the game, and hooking every function that writes your variable so that they call a function of that dll. That function will tell your program that the variable changed, and provide the new value.
Problem is that if the function is shared (ex: updates the player's position, but also those of the ennemies) you'll have to sort things out before calling or not MyDll.dll.UpdateMyVariable.

Anyway the approach above is done that way (sorting player vs enemies excluded):
2-In your dll export a function that will take the value of the thing you want to monitor as a parameter. In C it would be something like:
Code:
3-Stick cheat engine to your game, find your variable, then "find out what writes on this address".
4-Each line in the "find out what writes..." window will roughly look like "mov [eax],ebx". Click on it->show disassembler, then tools->autoassemble->template->cheat table framework.
5-Make sure "mov [eax],ebx" is selected in the disassembler then click then template->code injection.
Code:
push ebx
just under.
8-At the beginning of in the [enable] section, add 'loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")'. If CE complains about not understanding what UpdateMyVariable means, you need to make a separate script to load your dll, something like:
Code:
[enable]
loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")
[disable]
and activate that script before validating the script that uses UpdateMyVariable.
9-Well if cheat engine agrees to add the big script to your cheat table, it should be good.

Apparently it is possible to write dlls in visual basic, but since I don't know how to call a function from a vb dll in assembly, I'd rewrite your program in C/C++.

It sounds as though this method uses cheat engine as the injector for the dll?

And just so I can understand what is being done, I'm just pushing the value onto the memory stack and when I do "call updateMyVariable" it will pass the value that has been pushed as the parameter?

Yeah I'm not too good with libraries either, I just write a .vb file that contains my functions and add it to each project.

Pingo wrote:
Gniarf
Thats the method i usually use aswell but never in a dll.
I hook the function in C# or VB and store the single or multiple addresses.
You can write managed dlls and inject them using a bootstrap dll or loading it directly from memory. My injector uses the memory method.

Mal1t1a
See if you can find a static pointer first (easiest).
If thats not possible, you'l need to use code injection and store
the register (hardest but better).

There are certain situations where I have been able to find the static address, but others where I have been unsuccessful.

I like the method that works the best because I need the reliability. If I knew how to inject code and store the register that would be very beneficial. My language of choice is vb, I can handle C# as a fallback. If it can't be done in either of those, then I'll take the gruesome task of learning how to achieve it in C++.

Gniarf wrote:
Pingo wrote:
You can write managed dlls and inject them using a bootstrap dll
Ah yes, a proxy dll, hadn't thought about it. I'll keep that in a corner of my memory, thanks!

@Mal1t1a: Thinking again about it, there is a method that is at least equally simple to reliably call a function on memory change: using hardware breakpoints. The idea is write and inject a dll, set up us the bomb *ahem* the breakpoint when DllMain(...) is called, and when the breakpoint is hit do whatever you want to do when the variable changes.
Setting a breakpoint is easy, there are tons of sample sources codes available on the net. (I use this one)
Handling what to do when the break is hit is done that way:
Code:

HWHooker TheHook;
PVOID ExceptionHandle;

LONG CALLBACK ExceptionHandler(PEXCEPTION_POINTERS ExceptionInfo)
{
   if (ExceptionInfo->ExceptionRecord->ExceptionAddress==reinterpret_cast<PVOID>(MONITORED_ADDRESS)&&
      ExceptionInfo->ExceptionRecord->ExceptionCode==EXCEPTION_SINGLE_STEP)
   { //if it's a breakpoint at MONITORED_ADDRESS...
      //do what you want with MONITORED_ADDRESS

//......

//job done, go play!
      return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_EXECUTION;
   }

//wrong exception
   return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH;
}

BOOL APIENTRY DllMain( HMODULE hModule, DWORD ul_reason_for_call,LPVOID lpReserved)
{
   switch (ul_reason_for_call)
   {
   case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
      {
         ExceptionHandle=AddVectoredExceptionHandler(1337,ExceptionHandler);
         //ExceptionHandler is the function that will be called when ANY breakpoint or ANY other exception occurs

//set up your breakpoint here
         TheHook.SetBreakpoint(HWHooker::WRITE,VARIABLE_SIZE,reinterpret_cast<void*>(MONITORED_ADDRESS));

break;
      }
   case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
   case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
   case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
      break;
   }
   return TRUE;
}

The problem with this approach is that:
-Games with any decent DRM or anti-cheat protections will crash on you for using breakpoints.
-If MONITORED_ADDRESS is written very often, it may cause a severe slowdown.
-When your variable gets reallocated, you have to manually update the breakpoint with the new address.
But on the other hand you don't have to worry about shared functions.

I do enjoy that there is code attached to this post, however I can not use breakpoints in the game as they crash the application as you have mentioned.
Gniarf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
Gniarf wrote:
Code:
Code:
push ebx
just under.
Code:
[enable]
loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")
[disable]

Yes it does. Since it already uses CE to patch all functions that write to the monitored address, I used CE to inject the dll aswell.

Mal1t1a wrote:
And just so I can understand what is being done, I'm just pushing the value onto the memory stack and when I do "call updateMyVariable" it will pass the value that has been pushed as the parameter?
Exactly. Calling a C function declared as:
Code:
void stdcall Foo(int Parameter1,bool Parameter2,Something* Parameter3)
is done that way in assembly:
Code:
push Parameter3
push Parameter2
push Parameter1
call Foo
In 32bit applications. I heard it's more hairy to call vb functions, something to do with a CoCreateInstance (I'm not competent on this topic), so if you can't rewrite your vb code in C then you should probably do as Pingo hinted: make your code in a vb dll and make a minimal C dll that simply calls your vb code, but from C code. Then call your C code from assembly.
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gniarf wrote:
Mal1t1a wrote:
Gniarf wrote:
Code:
Code:
push ebx
just under.
Code:
[enable]
loadlibrary("MyDll.dll")
[disable]

Yes it does. Since it already uses CE to patch all functions that write to the monitored address, I used CE to inject the dll aswell.

Mal1t1a wrote:
Exactly. Calling a C function declared as:
Code:
void stdcall Foo(int Parameter1,bool Parameter2,Something* Parameter3)
is done that way in assembly:
Code:
push Parameter3
push Parameter2
push Parameter1
call Foo
In 32bit applications. I heard it's more hairy to call vb functions, something to do with a CoCreateInstance (I'm not competent on this topic), so if you can't rewrite your vb code in C then you should probably do as Pingo hinted: make your code in a vb dll and make a minimal C dll that simply calls your vb code, but from C code. Then call your C code from assembly.

so if I had
Code:

void Bar(int Foo)
{
  if(foo mod 2 == 1)
  {
      foo -= 1
      pop foo
  }
}

I can type in assembly
Code:

push Foo
call var

and the code will work?

Also In regards to 32 bit applications, I'm on a 64 bit environment so that's not much of a problem to me. I'll search around for making vb dll files on the internet. I use readprocessmemory and writeprocessmemory, and I'm not sure if those are the write functions that I should be using??
Gniarf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
so if I had
Code:
void Bar(int Foo)
{
  if(foo mod 2 == 1)
  {
      foo -= 1
      pop foo
  }
}
...it wouldn't compile because "pop" doesn't exist in C, C is case sensitive, and "void" functions cannot output a result. All in all I assume you meant:
Code:
int Bar(int Foo)
{
  if(Foo % 2 == 1)
  {
      Foo -= 1;
  }
  return Foo;
}

Mal1t1a wrote:
I can type in assembly
Code:

push Foo
call var

and the code will work?
Nope, CE will bash you because it doesn't know "var" and neither do I.
...If it's a typo and you meant "call Bar", yes, that would work.
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gniarf wrote:
Mal1t1a wrote:
so if I had
Code:
void Bar(int Foo)
{
  if(foo mod 2 == 1)
  {
      foo -= 1
      pop foo
  }
}
...it wouldn't compile because "pop" doesn't exist in C, C is case sensitive, and "void" functions cannot output a result. All in all I assume you meant:
Code:
int Bar(int Foo)
{
  if(Foo % 2 == 1)
  {
      Foo -= 1;
  }
  return Foo;
}

Mal1t1a wrote:
I can type in assembly
Code:

push Foo
call var

and the code will work?
Nope, CE will bash you because it doesn't know "var" and neither do I.
...If it's a typo and you meant "call Bar", yes, that would work.

oops, haha. I did mean to type in "Bar".

So if I wanted to push a string into a function would I do the same thing?

Code:

string Barber(string Fools)
{
  return (replace(Fools.begin(), Fools.end(), 'p', 'q'));
}

then in cheat engine assembly I just add the two lines:
Code:

push Fools
Call Barber

also, if I have my .dll ready, where do I place it for cheat engine to inject it?

edit:
Okay so I have this code in vb.net as a library class (it compiles into MemoryTest.dll)
Code:

Public Class MemoryTest
    Public Function OnHealthChange(ByVal HP As Integer) As Integer
        Return HP + 1
    End Function
End Class

in cheat engine I get this as my calling code:
Code:

mov [edi],eax

I go to show disassembler->tools->Auto Assemble->Template->Cheat Table relocation framework
I enter loadlibrary("TestMemory.dll")
Then I do the same thing except this time select: code injection

which compiles to this:

Code:

alloc(newmem,2048) //2kb should be enough
label(returnhere)
label(originalcode)
label(exit)

newmem: //this is allocated memory, you have read,write,execute access
mov [edi],eax //this is the original code
push eax //this is the integer I want to push
call OnHealthChange //this is the function i want to call
mov eax,edi
pop edi//place your code here

originalcode:
mov [edi],eax
mov eax,edi
pop edi

exit:
jmp returnhere

"server.dll"+310CF:
jmp newmem
returnhere:

I can't run the code for the loadlibrary dll. It says it cannot inject the dll (where is it supposed to be?)

so then I went to the memory viewer, selected tools -> inject dll ->browsed for dll -> selected it -> "Do you want to run a function?" -> yes -> dll injection successful

Then I went to the auto assemble page, with the code that calls the function. I proceed to click execute. Then the game freezes and crashes.
Gniarf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
So if I wanted to push a string into a function would I do the same thing?
Code:

string Barber(string Fools)
{
  return (replace(Fools.begin(), Fools.end(), 'p', 'q'));
}

then in cheat engine assembly I just add the two lines:
Code:

push Fools
Call Barber
First "string" in C++ is a very high level class to handle a sequence of characters, and constructing a class object in assembly is more pain than needed. Instead it is easier to use the char basic type (or rather an array of char), like:
Code:
__declspec( dllexport ) stdcall char* Barber(char* Fools)
{
  static char Output[256]; //static means that there will only be one instance of this buffer, so beware if you use Barber to process several strings.
  CString EasyToManipulateString=Fools; //CString has an handier replace function than string
  EasyToManipulateString.Replace('p','q');
  strcpy(Output,EasyToManipulateString.GetBuffer());
  return Output;
}
Mal1t1a wrote:
also, if I have my .dll ready, where do I place it for cheat engine to inject it?
The folder that contains the game's exe? Alternatively you can write "loadlibrary("c:\\temp\\MyDll.dll")" (I don't remember if it's \ or \\ in AA scripts).

Mal1t1a wrote:
Okay so I have this code in vb.net as a library class (it compiles into MemoryTest.dll)
[...]
I enter loadlibrary("TestMemory.dll")
Is MemoryTest.dll and TestMemory.dll the same file, or is TestMemory a proxy dll in C that calls the vb one?

Mal1t1a wrote:
code injection which compiles to this:
[snip]
Tskk tskk tskk, you edited it and in doing so, added bugs. It should have been:
Code:

label(returnhere)
label(originalcode)
label(exit)

//nothing here

originalcode:
mov [edi],eax
push eax //this is the integer I want to push
call OnHealthChange //this is the function i want to call
mov eax,edi
pop edi

exit:
jmp returnhere

"server.dll"+310CF:
jmp newmem
returnhere:

newmem and originalcode are just names given to code addresses like game.exe=0x400000. They are not section delimiters. In the code below
Code:

newmem:
add eax,1

originalcode:
mov [ebx],eax
jmp returnhere

Game.exe+124
jmp newmem
returnhere
your cpu will see jmp newmem, then add eax,1, then it will proceed to the next instruction: mov [ebx],eax, and then jmp return here.

Note:in your script you can remove both lines mentioning originalcode ,and both lines mentioning "exit" since they are useless in your script.

Mal1t1a wrote:
Then I went to the auto assemble page, with the code that calls the function. I proceed to click execute. Then the game freezes and crashes.
Given your AA srcipt it had to happen, regardless of the content of your dll, but make sure the function you call from asm is an stdcall C function, not a VB one.
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I will try approaching this differently.

I was using a .dll that was coded in VB.net.

Now I tried to use a C++ .dll file.

This is the code I have for the C++ .dll file
Code:

// MemoryHookTest.cpp : Defines the exported functions for the DLL application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"

__declspec( dllexport ) int* __stdcall Barber(int* Fools)
{
  *Fools += 1;
  return Fools;
}

When I build it, it compiles into "MemoryHookTest.dll"

Here is a list of what I do to hack the application:
    1. I find the value that I want to change.
    2. I find the address that writes to the value.
    3. I show disassembler
    4. I click Tools->Inject DLL
    5. I browse to the MemoryHookTest.dll file.
    6. I click "No" to the "Do you want to execute a function?
    7. I click Tools->Auto Assemble
    8. I click Template->Inject Code
    9. This is the code I am given:

Code:

label(returnhere)
label(originalcode)
label(exit)

//place your code here

originalcode:
mov [edx+00000148],eax

exit:
jmp returnhere

001C1643:
jmp newmem
nop
returnhere:

10. I add my two calls to the code:

Code:

label(returnhere)
label(originalcode)
label(exit)

//place your code here

originalcode:
mov [edx+00000148],eax
push eax
call Barber

exit:
jmp returnhere

001C1643:
jmp newmem
nop
returnhere:

11. Then I click Execute, it injects successfully.
    12. Then I go back into the program, and force the value to change.
    13. I watch as the application crashes.
    14. I come on here to post everything I did step by step in hopes of getting an accurate answer.
Gniarf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
Now I tried to use a C++ .dll file.
As a dotNET hater I congratulate you!

Code:

label(returnhere)
label(originalcode)
label(exit)

//place your code here

originalcode:
mov [edx+00000148],eax
push eax
call Barber

exit:
jmp returnhere

001C1643:
jmp newmem
nop
returnhere:
It's a detail for now, but make sure memory editor->view->show symbols is enabled. Normally 001C1643 should be shown as "Something.exe+12345". Anyway it's unrelated to your current problem.

Mal1t1a wrote:
13. I watch as the application crashes.
Thought wtf until I built your dll, injected it, crashed a program, and stuck a debugger to it...then I understood.
In:
Code:
mov [edx+00000148],eax
push eax
call Barber
You're passing eax=the number of idiots as a parameter. However Barber(int* Fools) expects the ADRESSS OF the number of fools. So when there is one retard, the barber tries to read the number the number fools, which you told him was stored at address 0x1 -> access violation-> crash. To pass the address of Fools (which is edx+00000148) to Barber, replace push eax+call Barber by:
Code:
push eax //this one means "make a backup of eax" not "pass eax as argument"
lea eax, [edx+148]  //now eax=edx+148
push eax  //argument
call MemoryHookTest.Barber //better than Barber alone, incase another dll exports a function with the same name
pop eax //restore the backup made above
Mal1t1a
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
It works!

Although, I'm too inexperienced in C++ to write what I want to do.

Should I make a separate topic about trying to call a function from a vb.net library in C++? I mean I think that's the only way that I would be able to write a memory hook that will call a vb.net function.

As far as this method of using a C++ only .dll file, how would I do the same thing, but for a string of unknown length.

The way I determined how long the string was is to read in 255 bytes, parse it until I hit the byte "00" and then concatenate everything before it.

I don't know if there is a better way.
Gniarf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1t1a wrote:
Although, I'm too inexperienced in C++ to write what I want to do.
May I inquire what you want to do?

Mal1t1a wrote:
Should I make a separate topic about trying to call a function from a vb.net library in C++?
I'd recommend googling instead, since someone MUST have had this issue before you. Otherwise the General programming should be appropriate.

Mal1t1a wrote:
As far as this method of using a C++ only .dll file, how would I do the same thing, but for a string of unknown length.
Err the "same thing"? Same as what?

Mal1t1a wrote:
The way I determined how long the string was is to read in 255 bytes, parse it until I hit the byte "00" and then concatenate everything before it.
strlen(AddressOfTheFirstCharOfAString); will give you the total length of that string.
Note: technically, strlen just searches for the first 00 in a string.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: