Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Level 7 Pointerscan. Is this normal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItsMe
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Level 7 Pointerscan. Is this normal? Reply with quote

Hi, first good work with Cheat Engine DarkByte, i like it.
Im new in this Forum and i cant perfekt english.

Ok, i have a Problem with the Pointerscanner of Cheat Engine. Its not really a Problem but i think this is not normal.

Yesterday i start the Pointerscanner for a Level 7 Pointer. I know this takes a long time until its finish but not so very long.

Yesterday 7 pm i start the scan, and now the scan is still not finished and i dont know when its finished.
No Time left, nothing i have only this information:

and this are the setting for the scan:

["You can't post Url's yet" This message is coming when i submit this Thread, this is the reason for without http. Only copy and paste the Link in your Browser to show the Picture.]

At the moment the Pointer Files are 70 Gigabyte.

I dont know what i do wrong but so long for a Level 7 Scan? I need a Soulution for this, maybe Tricks and Tips.
How can i scan this faster?
And for what are the Threads? Is it faster when i do 1 Thread or 60?

Pointerscan is the only way, because the Debugger dont work in this Game and Kerneldebugger crashing.

Im using Windows 7 64 Bit. Quad Prozessor 4x2.8 Ghz, 4 GB Rahm

Help me please to optimize the Pointerscan for High Level Pointers.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you shouldn't set number of threads so high, keep it around the total number of cpu cores you have

as for the long scan, it is possible that it takes that long yes, it all depends on the game. Each level the scan exponentially increases the number of addresses found. (total number of level 6 results multiplied by the total number of level 6 results multiplied by the structsize)

See if you can deal with level 6 pointers. Or even 5 but then a bigger structsize (e.g level 5 with 4096 structsize)

alternatively, install a 32-bit OS

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
ItsMe
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fast Support, thanks.

I will try it out but a other question. Does it have influence on the Scanspeed when i modify the Range from the Pointer Path Addresses?
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I find it to be much easier to just find some code that manipulates the address in question and store the address to a registered symbol from within an injected code-cave. The process is a whole lot easier, and you're guaranteed that the variable is valid as soon as it is instantiated. With pointers nested so deeply, you could be looking at something that doesn't get initialized as soon as you'd suspect or a member of a linked list or some such.

Cheers,
adude
ItsMe
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
For what it's worth, I find it to be much easier to just find some code that manipulates the address in question and store the address to a registered symbol from within an injected code-cave. The process is a whole lot easier, and you're guaranteed that the variable is valid as soon as it is instantiated. With pointers nested so deeply, you could be looking at something that doesn't get initialized as soon as you'd suspect or a member of a linked list or some such.

Cheers,
adude

Hi, i dont understand exactly what you mean but im interesting to learn new things. May you have good tutorials about your Method?
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=4869
Then try: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=3433

In summary, you're going to take the good address you found and instead of trying to find a static base-pointer for it, you're going to ask CE what writes to or reads from that address. Use the code-injection function to intercept the code, allocate enough memory to store an address, register it to a symbol so that you can access it with a "friendly" name, and move the address you want into the address you allocated. That done, when you start the game up again you can enable the script and look in the symbol's address for your value instead of having to worry about a static base pointer.

If it's too much to understand, I sympathize. If you run into trouble, post the auto-inject script that CE creates and ask for help modifying it to save your pointer.

Cheers,
adude
ItsMe
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
In summary, you're going to take the good address you found and instead of trying to find a static base-pointer for it, you're going to ask CE what writes to or reads from that address. Use the code-injection function to intercept the code, allocate enough memory to store an address, register it to a symbol so that you can access it with a "friendly" name, and move the address you want into the address you allocated. That done, when you start the game up again you can enable the script and look in the symbol's address for your value instead of having to worry about a static base pointer.

If it's too much to understand, I sympathize. If you run into trouble, post the auto-inject script that CE creates and ask for help modifying it to save your pointer.

Cheers,
adude

Thank you for this. I read first the Tutorials. Im sure i need a little Time to understand this completly but when im ready and still have Problems i ask you again.

Good Support : )
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a nice table of how many possible pointers a pointerscan can return (assuming you at least limit to aligned memory)

structsize: 2048 (means max 512 entries in each level)
level 0 : max pointers found = 512
level 1 : max pointers found = 262144
level 2 : max pointers found = 134217728
level 3 : max pointers found = 68719476736
level 4 : max pointers found = 35184372088832
level 5 : max pointers found = 18014398509481984
level 6 : max pointers found = 9223372036854775808
level 7 : max pointers found = 4722366482869645213696

So, in worst case scenario for a level 7 scan with a structsize of 2048 you'd need:
4722366482869645213696 * ( 4*8 )=151.115.727.451.828.646.838.272 bytes on your harddisk to scan (4*8 for 7 offset dwords and the base offset)

of course, this is a worst case scenario and usually a game has far less entries for each level, but you get the point, it CAN take that long

if you want the calculation:
(structsize/4)^(level+1)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: