Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please improve the new user experience on this website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CnPx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Please improve the new user experience on this website Reply with quote

When posting on this website, you are constantly met with problems, and half the time you don't even know what's causing it. For 1 you can't even post links to other topics on the same website! Why? I get other websites to combat spam but posting links to your own website makes no sense at all. This is such an easy fix as well. Just add your own domain to the white list. I used to mess around with phpBB and MyBB forum softwares, so I know it's possible.

My 2nd issue is the website looks like it hasn't been update in a while. I am not sure if this is the case, but even by looking like it hasn't can deter users. If the website hasn't received updates, then you don't need me to tell you that it makes your SQL database at risk. So websites that look outdated tend to be a bit worrying to use. Also, it just looks more welcoming to update your themes. (I would be happy to throw something together if you actually used it Very Happy )

I understand the cheat engine team is not in it for money. Likely have real lives and jobs to go to. So if things don't gain full attention, then I understand. But forums are awesome. Communities found in forums tend to be so much more welcoming than ones on places like Reddit which seems to have a lot more bad actors. I like going to forums. But this one has so many barriers up when trying to post certain stuff, it just becomes difficult and deincentivises trying. Especially when you don't even know the part of your post that's being mentioned. Its been a while since I used phpBB but there must be a plugin someone has created that highlights the part of the post that's isn't allowed?

Thank you for reading Smile
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Quote:

When posting on this website, you are constantly met with problems, and half the time you don't even know what's causing it. For 1 you can't even post links to other topics on the same website! Why? I get other websites to combat spam but posting links to your own website makes no sense at all. This is such an easy fix as well. Just add your own domain to the white list. I used to mess around with phpBB and MyBB forum softwares, so I know it's possible.

New accounts are blocked from posting links altogether due to various kinds of problems in the past. (Not just spam bots.)

Quote:

My 2nd issue is the website looks like it hasn't been update in a while. I am not sure if this is the case, but even by looking like it hasn't can deter users. If the website hasn't received updates, then you don't need me to tell you that it makes your SQL database at risk. So websites that look outdated tend to be a bit worrying to use. Also, it just looks more welcoming to update your themes. (I would be happy to throw something together if you actually used it Very Happy )

There is no reason to upgrade things for the sake of upgrading. The old motto of "don't fix what isn't broken" applies here. The site functions perfectly fine and has been heavily modified over the years from the original base phpBB that was used. Upgrading doesn't automatically mean better/safer as well. This isn't a social media platform looking to pull people in and retain users either, it's a support forum for a tool. It doesn't need to look 'new' or 'trendy'.

Quote:

I understand the cheat engine team is not in it for money.

Cheat Engine isn't a team operation. Dark Byte is the sole owner/developer. While it is open source and some contributions happen from time to time, it is not any kind of organization or company. The site is also solely handled by him with several moderators who contribute their own free time to assist with keeping the forum clean.

Code:

But this one has so many barriers up when trying to post certain stuff, it just becomes difficult and deincentivises trying. Especially when you don't even know the part of your post that's being mentioned. Its been a while since I used phpBB but there must be a plugin someone has created that highlights the part of the post that's isn't allowed?

Those barriers are there for a reason and are very unlikely to be removed. The forum is also not using phpBB 3.x so any mention of currently available plugins is mute as they will not work on the version of phpBB being used here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: