Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serious Bug with Cheat Engine that Needs Fix! SOLVED!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiyoh
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Serious Bug with Cheat Engine that Needs Fix! SOLVED! Reply with quote

There is a bug where if you open a file and find a code then freeze it and try to open another Cheat engine will gltich with non stop pop up "Do you want to change file size to bla" and this popup cant be disabled unless you restart the pc...

EDIT: DB said it's fixed in latest GitHub Build as of now. Smile

Last edited by Meiyoh on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(disclaimer: not a CE developer but...)
Why is this a serious bug? It's clearly not something that comes up often...

also, it didn't happen to me. open CE 6.7, file->open file, pick one, add 0 as a string, freeze it, open new CE 6.7, no problem. ok... file->open file, pick same file, no problem. add 0, freeze, no problem.

If you're going to report a bug you should try to make sure that you include instructions to easily reproduce it...and I know this isn't an error with freezing a value in one _process_ and then opening another CE because I've done that numerous times before, you can even open two instances of CE and freeze the same address in the same process at the same time.

Oh, and you can probably stop the popup by using the task manager to kill CE... or the taskkill command (but if you knew how to use the command line you'd probably already know about those, so taskkill is probably not helpful...). That'd make it much easier to test reproducing the error since you wouldn't have to restart your pc.
Meiyoh
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I get response from Dark Byte or Mgr.InzPlayer ?
I need assistance with this . If I get error then it's serious and I am not using cheat engine from 1-2 years but since it's creation... So PLEASE DONT COME TEACH ME how to try fix this . I woulndn't report if this was not FUCKING SERIOUS BUG! Task Manager cant even be opened because the pop up closes all types of windows I try to open...

How to make it.
Try to open a file - Save file from CEMU .
Edit bytes and freeze them in address. Now while this is frozen open another file with different size! VOLLA!

FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reproduction instructions

1. Open a file (eg. via file->Open File)
2. Add an address near the end of the file to address list
3. freeze it, if you don't get the change file size prompt increase the file size
4. say no

Though I did find it trivial to close CE, task managed opened and stayed open, just lost focus due to new message boxes, however since I could scroll the task manager list even without it being the active window and the context menu from right clicking didn't disappear when CE's dialog box stole the focus it was fine.

Can't seem to get breakpoints to work so that's about all the debugging I can do, but I'll bring it up to DB on discord now that I have a solid way to reproduce it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'll probably come along, until then.

"If I get error then it's serious" that's not how classification is done lmao. I get errors all the damn time, 98% are my own fault, when they aren't I don't go complaining with half-assed instructions about how to reproduce the problem and claiming it's a serious bug, of those that I do ask DB about half of those turn out not to be a "bug" that need to be fixed but a specific way that CE works for some reason.

If you can solve the problem with an older CE, then it's probably not going to be considered a serious bug, it'll be fixed in the source but you aren't likely to get a rushed update. Same reason there isn't a CE 6.71 / 6.8 to fix being unable to scan bytes in literal files, because you can use an older version to do it or compile the source code yourself (which is trivial, just download the source and lazarus 1.6.4, open the cheatengine.lpi and build it).

Not being able to close CE does sound somewhat serious however.

"Try to open a file - Save file from CEMU"

A- this is information that you left out of your instructions before that would likely be necessary, or at least quite helpful, to track down a bug, I don't even have CEMU installed to test
B-kind of sounds like a CEMU bug especially since on looking in the CE source for the string "file size" I can't actually find the error message in the source, nor can I do so when searching for "Do you want to " increasing the likelihood of this being a CEMU bug.

By "open a file" do you mean open a cheat table in cheat engine, any file like a txt file, start a process from a file, or just attach to a running process?

Upon doing further searching for "file size" (in the source on my computer rather than github) I do find
Code:
      if MessageDlg('Change the file size to '+inttostr(ptrUint(lpbaseaddress)+s)+' bytes?',mtConfirmation,[mbyes,mbno],0)=mryes then
on line 149 of FileHandler.pas in WriteProcessMemoryFile. I also see no try/except block so perhaps an exception is being raised and causing an issue though I'm not sure why that would cause it to throw a ton of messages out.

I can not however seem to get the popup in testing without CEMU...ah, duh, you have to increase the size of the file.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already fixed on github.

But what is your reason to freeze? To copy data from one file to another, or to keep changing that file? In 6.7 changes made to files are not instantly anymore, you now need to save manually

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Meiyoh
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
It's already fixed on github.

But what is your reason to freeze? To copy data from one file to another, or to keep changing that file? In 6.7 changes made to files are not instantly anymore, you now need to save manually

DB reason is to keep addresses changes. EG one modification from a save to another.
Does CE copy and apply entire memory by just freezing a single address of it.
But thanks it's fixed now. Smile Thanks all for helping. I will try this github build.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: