Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Controls In Mario 64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elektrixx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Changing Controls In Mario 64 Reply with quote

I want to create GameShark codes that swap C Left and C Right as well as undoing inverted controls on the analog stick.

I've been reading and watching every guide under the sun but they either don't make sense, contradict each other or were made so long ago that image or video links are broken.

List of things that don't make sense after reading everything:
- Cheat Engine To N64 Converter. The eventual "Array Of Byte" search gives nothing. Instructions are difficult to interpret.
- Reversing addresses. When should I have to do this?
- 2 byte big endian. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't.
- The address is probably meant to start with an 8 but I'm not even close.
- Freezing the exact sames addresses sometimes does nothing.

Every other guide I look up is just some simple number finding stuff. Isn't there a "Nintendo 64" custom value type that someone has done?

I still haven't gotten to the "turn it into a GS code" part yet. Is there a somewhat recent and current guide on how to edit N64 games specifically?
elektrixx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I've figured out some of this. The CE virtual addresses changes every time you restart Project 64 or the ROM or something. This solves why my old notes were irrelevant every time I gave this another chance.

I might be close-ish to figuring this out but I'm stumped as to why there aren't addresses dedicated to a button. Every time I try searching I get maybe ten addresses that give a different response on each button. Five of them give change to a 1 or 2 in 2 byte big endian while the rest are another bunch of addresses that have completely different (but consistent) numbers. I found out the address that supposedly writes to these but no matter what buttons I press, the address byte never changes.

So here's what I'm thinking. Do a D code that looks at the original address and makes the address it normally writes to perform the opposite. But how's that possible if the original address never changes?

I'd love to learn more, but this whole process is poorly documented. My information is pulled from random forum posts. Every single one references an image or video that leads to a dead link. All this shit is so old that it might not relate to current builds of Project 64 or Cheat Engine.

I've done all the searching I can, but nobody in the the world is interested in removing inverted controls for N64 games? I've been looking into this nearly every weekend for two months and I think I've hit the limit of useful information on the internet relative to what I want to do.
mgostIH
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy that knows a LOT about SM64 hacking and reversing, his name is Tyler Kehne. Unfortunately, your problem is mostly about using Cheat Engine on an emulator, so everything inside it will be "virtual".

Here's his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClPjENu5gaTOaZ5_99AQL0g

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: