Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a certain address in program code with lua

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawing
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Finding a certain address in program code with lua Reply with quote

I've written a trainer for a game using lua. The problem is that the address of a certain value (let's pretend it's the player's money) tends to change with each new game patch.

To counter this, I thought I could do something like this:
1) Find some code that accesses the money value. Say the code looks like
Code:
mov eax,[01234567]

and is at address "GAME.EXE+15".
2) Find the start of the function (say it's "GAME.EXE+10").
3) Use lua to disassemble the code starting at "GAME.EXE+10" until it finds an instruction of the form "mov eax,[some address]", and extract the address.

I implemented this and confirmed it produces the expected result. For reference, the code looks like this:
Code:
function find_address()
    local address= "GAME.GSysAlloc_SingletonSupport<FGFxAllocator>::GSysAlloc_SingletonSupport<FGFxAllocator>+8F57A0"
    local max_offset= 50

local offset= 0
    --address= getAddress(address) --no idea why, but the code won't work if I call getAddress here...
    while offset<max_offset do
          local addr= address..'+'..offset
          local code= disassemble(addr)
          local match= string.match(code, ',%[([0-9A-F]+)%]') --we're looking for lines of the form "instruction whatever,[address]"
          if match~=nil then
             return match
          end
          offset= offset+getInstructionSize(addr)
    end
    return '00000000'
end

Now, the question is, what do I do if the game's code changes due to a patch, and suddenly "GAME.EXE+10" is no longer the start of the function, but (worst case scenario) in the middle of another instruction that started at, say, "GAME.EXE+9"? Disassembling the code starting at "GAME.EXE+10" would then produce wrong results, wouldn't it? Is there a way to find an address at which an instruction begins, so that I can start disassembling there? (It doesn't necessarily have to be the start of the function.)

Zanzer
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use AOBScan() with wildcards.
Code:
local found = AOBScan("A1 ?? ?? ?? ?? XX XX XX XX XX")
Rawing
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that, thanks. Looking at how large my offset is (+8F57A0), the position of that instruction will probably change by a lot with the next patch, so an AOBScan is likely more reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: