Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to fix a CT, no CE experience, where to start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amoebae
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Want to fix a CT, no CE experience, where to start? Reply with quote

I've been using a CT for No Man's Sky made by someone else, and a recent patch broke most of the functions. It looks like the person who made it has abandoned the game now, and I can't expect them to go back and fix the CT each time a patch comes out. So, I'd like to learn how to maintain it myself.

I have no CE experience at all (beyond using other people's CTs). I've taken an initial look in the tutorials sections but it's daunting and difficult to know where to begin. (I'm not even certain if this is the correct place to ask - my apologies if not, and I'd appreciate being directed to the correct forum in that case.)

I'm prepared to do the hard work and learn what is required, but any pointers on the best place to look would be very much appreciated.

The things that are broken are: FoV control; freecam control; and changes to ship handling. I don't know if that gives an idea of what I need to be researching - I'm afraid I really am quite green. My priority is fixing what was already in place -- obviously down the line I'd like to learn more so I can potentially create things like this myself in the future, but for the moment the groundwork is already there, I just don't know what to do to work out why it's broken or how to fix it.

So, does anyone have any ideas of the best tutorials I can look at to learn enough to debug this?
panraven
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here may be a shortcut to fix the cheat.

May try to install an older version of the game (how?) but working with the cheat table, then check where the cheat injected and what it alternated, then compare it with new game version.

If it is a minor break, for example, the cheat use AOBScan to locate where to inject, that an offset value in the aob pattern may be changed in new game version.

If the cheat fail in new game version just because of the change of the offset, it may be easier to fix.

If you get a working aob pattern in older game, may try change the possible outdated offset bytes to wildcard pattern, and search the modified aob in the new game version to see if there are found result. (search option should tick 'executable')
If it is too many found results that the next step is impractical, may try look in the old game version for a longer aob pattern.

Then may try to fiddle/nop, or follow the table script if understand, the found result bytes, and see if the game has changed behaviors on related cheat effect.(Expect many crash!!!)

bye~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: