Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reversing Inverted Controls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elektrixx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reversing Inverted Controls Reply with quote

I'm new to Cheat Engine and it feels like I've picked a starter that's just too much.

I'm trying to undo inverted controls in Luigi's Mansion (and eventually, all the old Nintendo games I want to play) and I'm a few layers deep in complication; changing analog values, figuring out whether I need to worry about this 2/4 point endian stuff and then turning it into a GameShark code to work on a real GameCube.

I think the values I'm looking for are floats. I thought I found it, but CE finds four while Dolphin finds five... [edit] I don't even know if that's correct, because it turns out cheat tables don't save those addresses in the list, so my "progress" is lost.

I thought I'd have half a leg up because I've been using Process Monitor to figure out registry changes to implement in MDT deployments at work. What I'm trying in Cheat Engine is clearly far above that.

I'm gonna do the tutorial again and refresh my mind before I take this on again.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the controller values (you may only need to find one or two, as the same instruction may access multiple buttons) and check to see what is accessing them. If you're working with emulated code, the same instruction may access many other things, too. Once you find the instruction that handles the controller values, write a script to either switch out the values so that they're inverted, or change negative to positive and vice versa.
predprey
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest tracing backwards from the players coordinates. Instead of the usual movement functions, the game might be using an inverted version of the movement functions when in Luigi's mansion. Maybe swap the function call from the inverted version to the normal one.
elektrixx
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy dealing with other stuff, but I really wanted to give this another shot.

I chose 2 byte big endian. (I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I could find the same values with both that looked the same)

I set Y and A on my Xbox One controller as C stick up and down, so that I knew the values would be identical every time I pressed. Now what I'm expecting is for C up to be either an opposite number, a minus figure or a zero compared to C down.

The closest I could get was this (Value on the right when I pressed C Up):
804BB0F4 16256
804DDAF8 16256

81351EC8 49024
81351EC8 49024

They become each other's numbers when I press C down. I tried freezing the top two addresses and they did nothing. When I try to restore the code, Dolphin crashes shortly after.

I tried finding the same figures again in Dolphin cheat manager with no luck. I found five addresses that were close and seemed to do the same thing, but I don't think it shows endian. The addresses were slightly different.

I still haven't gotten to the part where this becomes a GameShark code, which is why I'm trying to find these values in dolphin itself. I have no idea what the next bit is.

++METHOS wrote:
Find the controller values (you may only need to find one or two, as the same instruction may access multiple buttons) and check to see what is accessing them.

It never came up with anything accessing or writing values in the addresses I found.

predprey wrote:
i suggest tracing backwards from the players coordinates. Instead of the usual movement functions, the game might be using an inverted version of the movement functions when in Luigi's mansion. Maybe swap the function call from the inverted version to the normal one.

I'm still not convinced I have the ability to find these yet. I expected to find an address with numbers changing like crazy when I move analog control from up to down. Instead it seems to only change about 5-7 times during the whole movement.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elektrixx wrote:
It never came up with anything accessing or writing values in the addresses I found.
-If the emulator has its own built-in debugger, then CE may not get proper access to it. There may be some settings that you can use, but I'm not familiar with Dolphin. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: