Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with self-/shared- giant trainers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Problems with self-/shared- giant trainers Reply with quote

I have an issue when I go access either a trainer that I create or one that someone else has posted the trainer file to.

What happens is that for the first runtime of the trainer .exe file, the GUI that makes up the trainer file loads normally, with all the labels, hotkeys and other buttons and elements a trainer for a game may have.

This first run of the trainer .exe was left open for 30 minutes, without problems.

When I close it out and try to run it again, the GUI never shows on my screen anymore. It's as if the trainer is closing before it even shows anything. In order for me to open it again, I would have to restart my computer and run it then.

I am on Windows 8.1 x64. Is there anything that is known that would cause such a thing to happen?
tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with self-/shared- giant trainers Reply with quote

Goomba wrote:
tdr2012 wrote:
I have an issue when I go access either a trainer that I create or one that someone else has posted the trainer file to.

What happens is that for the first runtime of the trainer .exe file, the GUI that makes up the trainer file loads normally, with all the labels, hotkeys and other buttons and elements a trainer for a game may have.

This first run of the trainer .exe was left open for 30 minutes, without problems.

When I close it out and try to run it again, the GUI never shows on my screen anymore. It's as if the trainer is closing before it even shows anything. In order for me to open it again, I would have to restart my computer and run it then.

I am on Windows 8.1 x64. Is there anything that is known that would cause such a thing to happen?

trainers usually hook to games.

restart da game.

I tried doing a test using notepad++.exe (trainer is set to auto-attach to that) to see if the trainer GUI would appear on the screen after restarting that process, then opening the trainer once more.

It still didn't display at all if I tried to open the trainer more than once during a logged-in session of Windows. I have to restart every time if I want to use it again. Any other ideas?
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be something that's preventing more than one instance of that trainer from being run at once. When you close the trainer's window, are you certain the process itself ends?
(check this via the task manager)

tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
There might be something that's preventing more than one instance of that trainer from being run at once. When you close the trainer's window, are you certain the process itself ends?
(check this via the task manager)

I tried it again (rebooted and launched the trainer. All of its GUI appeared. I opened up task manager and found three process entries related to the trainer. It's working at this point (attached to notepad++.exe).

Then, I closed out of the trainer using the X button. The GUI disappeared, and in a couple of seconds, all trainer processes disappeared from Task manager.

At this point, i proceed to restart notepad++.exe and re-launch the same trainer. After double-clicking the trainer .exe, I see two entries of the trainer appear in Task manager, but no Trainer GUI.

The two trainer process names stay in task manager for about 5-10 seconds, and then both disappear. As if it never launched.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there could be some problems if 2 things try to attach to the same program, but if you're restarting that program completely (process dies and is recreated), that shouldn't be a problem.

There might be a fourth process that's created which doesn't look like it's related to the trainer (like a conhost.exe process). It's easy to see this if you use another task manager like process hacker or something and sort the processes by their relative start time. If there's not, then maybe a service or something started up and doesn't shut down properly, but good luck looking through all the services on the computer.

Some other program (like an anti virus) might be interfering with it, but if this is true, I'm not sure why it's not interfering with the first time it's run.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you, sorry.

tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
I know there could be some problems if 2 things try to attach to the same program, but if you're restarting that program completely (process dies and is recreated), that shouldn't be a problem.

There might be a fourth process that's created which doesn't look like it's related to the trainer (like a conhost.exe process). It's easy to see this if you use another task manager like process hacker or something and sort the processes by their relative start time. If there's not, then maybe a service or something started up and doesn't shut down properly, but good luck looking through all the services on the computer.

Some other program (like an anti virus) might be interfering with it, but if this is true, I'm not sure why it's not interfering with the first time it's run.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to tell you, sorry.

I tried disabling my anti-virus program and it seems to have fixed it. Now, every time I startup the test trainer, it works now. Thanks for your input, too.

But that's really strange though, because I don't understand why it would let something run without restriction and then restrict it completely on the next user-initiated launch of the program.

Also, instead of conhost.exe, I see that extra instances of dllhost.exe runs each time I launch the trainer. Is it supposed to be conhost only?

EDIT: On top of that, my AV gave no warning messages what so ever. It didnt notify me that it was preventinf the file from running successfully or that it was blocked.

I was using Panda A/V to test this.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a bug in the AV.

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdr2012 wrote:
Also, instead of conhost.exe, I see that extra instances of dllhost.exe runs each time I launch the trainer. Is it supposed to be conhost only?

No; conhost.exe was only an example. dllhost.exe was probably more likely to show up now that I think about it. But I'm glad you figured out the problem. You might be able to whitelist the trainer's .exe in your AV to fix this without completely disabling your AV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: