Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avast responds to false positive reports.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rydian
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Avast responds to false positive reports. Reply with quote

So like many other trainer makers, I hear that every so often some AVs start flipping out over the standalone trainers.

Generally there's nothing that can really be done because even big-name companies like Norton have false positive submission processes that are non-functional. In Norton's case it wants you to e-mail the file to them. Never mind that e-mailing an EXE in general, let alone one currently being flagged by AV software, is not allowed by the majority of e-mail providers...

However I've gotten a lot of reports of Avast flipping out this time, and Avast actually has an actual submission process on their site with proper file attachments and such. I submitted two trainer examples to then, got a response within 3 hours that it was being forwarded to the lab, and then 3 hours after that was told that detection would be disabled in the next definition update.

Now let's see how long this lasts and how it plays out!

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good notice, now is nod32 time... regards
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the trainers you submit will actually be undetected but that doesn't mean they will stop flagging all trainers as false-positives. They simply add the specific trainer to their white-list.

Norton is actually the best out of other AV in terms of response and being transparent. One of my team member (iNVOKE) contacted a few AV companies to remove the false positive on his trainers and Norton said it clearly that they can't remove the false positives for all trainers unless you buy a digital certificate (linked me to theirs), they can keep white-listing the trainers we send them but thats it. ViPRE lied outright and said the trainer was a virus lol, F-secure eventually removed their detection.

The funny thing is most other AV companies use signatures from these big companies so once Norton and f-secure white-listed the trainer, all other AVs stopped as well (Avira and another can't remember), only VIPRE kept their detection (1/57). It was pretty cool to see a trainer have such low FP like that Very Happy.

So don't be so happy, they will start their detections again once you update your trainer.

Rydian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the trainer (including a modified form, code list, and injection scripts) for the 1.3.0.3 patch of the game, and VirusTotal reports that the latest Avast definition raises no flags on it, so that's a good sign.

I also checked my Starbound trainer that I haven't updated in a while and it's showing as clean now too.

So it seems they didn't just whitelist the executables I sent them specifically. Think they just whitelisted the standalone CE engine build inside or actually modified their detection? A trainer that uses .NET and/or other additional things might be a good test.

I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydian wrote:
Updated the trainer (including a modified form, code list, and injection scripts) for the 1.3.0.3 patch of the game, and VirusTotal reports that the latest Avast definition raises no flags on it, so that's a good sign.

I also checked my Starbound trainer that I haven't updated in a while and it's showing as clean now too.

So it seems they didn't just whitelist the executables I sent them specifically. Think they just whitelisted the standalone CE engine build inside or actually modified their detection? A trainer that uses .NET and/or other additional things might be a good test.

That would be pretty awesome on their part removing their detections like that altogether. Means one less false positive for us to worry about Very Happy

Rydian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the Symantec line on the other hand...

Anybody surprised? No?

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, thats odd. Symantec were really nice with our trainers.
Rydian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously I wasn't able to submit anything because they wanted it via e-mail (and sending .exe files that corporate AVs flag over e-mail is just not happening with most services), it's only since they implemented an actual submission system that I was able to send that in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: