Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Ammo pointers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chochang262
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Finding Ammo pointers Reply with quote

I know how to obtain a pointer quite easily (Well depending on the game, not so easy). My problem is that the game I'm trying to hack has several guns each with their own pointer to find. Making the ammo not decrease is quite simple, but what I was wondering was is it possible to find a pointer that corresponds to whatever gun you have in your hand at the time removing the need to find the specific ammo addy of each and every gun(and making any trainer that I produce later less work). I've tried all the methods I could think of to find this, and I'm starting to run out of hope for a simplistic method. So I guess I should simply ask, is it possible to find that addy in a game (obviously depending on how the game was coded) or is that just not how game programming works. I would imagine if I could find the player base, I could find a range of values including the ammo in the current weapon. So I'm currently trying to find that. But everything else I've tried so far has been unsuccessful. Just asking on here to maybe save me some time.
Zanzer
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when using CE's pointer scan, try searching the currently equipped ammo instead of the original ammo.
Equip pistol. Scan pointers for pistol ammo. Equip shotgun. Rescan pointers for shotgun ammo.
chochang262
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And viola! Thanks again for your help. The game was Spec Ops: The line by the way. I found the address in less than three minutes. I'm glad you're here Zanzer because that would have probably taken me a while to get.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use code injection instead ? It will write to any equipped weapon you have instead of you needing to find the address for each pistol.
chochang262
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namely because I'm not proficient enough in ASM to code anything besides simply NOPing out the command. This being said, whenever I would pick up a new gun, and it just so happened to be empty, seeing as it was a MOV command instead of ADD SUB (etc.) if I NOPed it, it would no longer allow the weapon to reload, or pick up any more ammo. I know if I were to take some time and really brush up on some ASM coding, it would likely be a very simple task, but for my current status right now, I'm just not advanced enough to make that work. I do appreciate the idea however.
Edit: I would also like to clarify though that the address I found with his method corresponds to all of the weapons I could find in-game, so I didn't have to do what I was asking in the original post (getting the address of every gun in the game) If that's what you meant by getting the address of every pistol. (Only put this because I wasn't sure what you meant)
gameplayer
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, the games I have ever played store all addresses with a single root pointer. But you said your game store each weapon with different pointers and you want to know how to find all of them quickly without repeating similar work for each of them. I'm a bit curious what game are you playing and can you post what did you find by taking screenshots or uploading your table here. I think if you are seeking some helps, you should do that. Good luck.
chochang262
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gameplayer, I appreciate the comment, but as I stated in the third post down, I already found the solution to my problem. The game was Spec Ops: The Line. The way that I found the solution was using @Zanzer's suggestion. I held a weapon in my hand, and found the addy to that specific weapon. Then, I pointer scanned for that address. Next, I found the address to a different weapon (ex.shotgun). Then in the pointer scan I rescanned for the shotgun's addy instead of the first weapon I searched for. This left me with about 10 results in the pointer scanner list that all still are valid, and pointed to whatever weapon was in my hand even after I've restarted my computer. So, I still had to search for more than one gun, but not even close to all the weapons in the game. I do really appreciate the enthusiasm in an attempt to help out the community. If you would still like me to post screenshots (because I know I'm not great at explaining things), I can most certainly do that still.
gameplayer
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I didn't notice your problem had been solved. Sorry, my English is not good enough, so I skipped some details in your posts. I think I should read carefully.
chochang262
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool, you were just helping out. No harm done. Even people who fully know English skip important stuff. (granted they do it more out of laziness)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: