Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion: A CE Lua tutorial like the current 9-step one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Suggestion: A CE Lua tutorial like the current 9-step one Reply with quote

I think it would do a world of good to have a series of steps that take you from some basic Lua uses, all the way to intermediate/advanced--much like how the current CE tutorial takes you from simply finding a value, to dealing with shared code.

CE desperately needs a Lua tutorial that's specific to game-hacking. I've seen all the threads in this forum related to Lua, but they're either scenario-specific, or they're generic to the point of not at all being useful.

It does a learner like me no good to go try to learn a language if I have nothing to immediately apply my knowledge to, and I mean that as a statement of recognizing my own ignorance, not an actual lack of utility. For example, I know Lua is extremely useful in CE, but I have no idea how or why; I just get the impression from others, so I want to add it to my skill set.

Again, this is about more than just RTFM; it's about learning Lua via Cheat Engine through some specific guidance and scenarios of varying difficulty. Thanks for reading and for any suggestions/recommedations you might have!

Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an amazing idea. I already did some things in LUA but not even middle-skilled so I would love to work through such a tutorial.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, lua is very useful and powerful, but i'm not sure there is a common generic use for Lua. It's main purpose is to fill in the gaps for the situations where the auto assembler lacks features )

I guess I could explain how to do gui's and how to use classes like a stringlist and how to enumerate through the addresslist, but is this what you mean? Or do you want something game related? (Which I can't come up with an generic example right now)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Sure, lua is very useful and powerful, but i'm not sure there is a common generic use for Lua. It's main purpose is to fill in the gaps for the situations where the auto assembler lacks features )

I guess I could explain how to do gui's and how to use classes like a stringlist and how to enumerate through the addresslist, but is this what you mean? Or do you want something game related? (Which I can't come up with an generic example right now)

Well, that's kind of the thing...I'm honestly not sure what to even request, specifically. I guess a good starting place might be something like...particular Lua-related questions you recall people asking the most--that is, instances of a single question being asked by multiple people over time where your answer was a Lua solution. That make sense? Almost like if you had to make a Lua FAQ consisting of ~7-10 questions and their respective breakdowns/solutions.

Here's where I'm coming from on this: I've used CE to help me smash over 10 years of self-doubt when it came to various core computing and programming fundamentals. I still have a long journey ahead of me, but in learning CE as the extensive tool that it is, and in being able to immediately relate lessons to games and basic trainers, I feel like CE is the perfect platform for me to learn Lua with a purpose.

That last bit probably seems selfish, but I want to eventually pay it forward by teaching others as well. I just don't even really know the right questions to ask about learning Lua, but I envision something that picks up where the inbuilt CE tutorial ends...but even still, starting at a noob level akin to the CE tutorial first showing how to find a value, but whatever that might be for Lua, like maybe filling in some very basic stuff within an AOB script or something.

I'd say having it be relevant to CE (as opposed to gaming, specifically) would be enough, so long as it's targeted topics that, by the end of the whole tutorial, would give a user some semblance of how/why they might want to take advantage of Lua in CE, as well as walk away with a handful of uses that they could infer other uses from.

I'm more than willing to help write the copy for the tutorial and do whatever else I can. I just think this would be massively beneficial to flesh out, if you like the idea enough to do so! =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: