Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ: How to use a pointer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexapod
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is how to convert these
Code:
"program.exe"+some_offset
type addresses to code? For example:

http colon //i dot imgur dot com/dnzfqlH.jpg (can't post URLs yet apparently)

I mean, surely I can't use
Code:
"Crusaders.exe"+00E3D2A0
as my address in my code?

Also, can you point me in the direction of a good place to find how to use the "What accesses this address" method for finding base pointers? Seems easier/faster than using pointer scans, but I've been unsuccessful with it, so far. I've seen Fleep's video. In the address for money above I was told 135ECEF8 was probably the base with an offset of 4 and it does not point to the address in question.

Sorry for posting in probably the wrong thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something I'm sure gets posted every other day.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ: How to use a pointer Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:

(also check out http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5280115#5280115 for help on how to deal with modulename+offset notations)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
hexapod
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ: How to use a pointer Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Dark Byte wrote:

(also check out (omit) for help on how to deal with modulename+offset notations)

Of course the example is in Delphi. Why wouldn't it be? Thanks.
tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Read the 4 byte value stored at 01132380 + 540 (So read the 4 bytes at 11328C0 and use that result for the next step)

I tried doing all the steps, and I was successful at getting a address that was not a pointer, but, the address I found after adding all the offsets to the "4 byte" values of previous addresses, it ends up being the same address that the (P->064E8268) holds the value in.

So, I just found the same 064E8268 address, but this address changes on next restart. This pointer is only 4-levels. Am I doing the math wrong? Do I start with the address "068A4B20" and add HEX offset d4 to it? Or am I supposed to add the "game.exe+02D86394" first, get its "4 Byte" value, and then add d4 to the DEC value of the "4 bytes"?

It didn't give me a different address that would be a static address. Do I have to add the "4 bytes" value into calculator as a DEC number or add by hex?

I am sorry, I am still trying to understand this, I thought I add the right idea when I added them up the first time.

Last edited by tdr2012 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game.exe+02D86394 is a static address

Dark Byte wrote:

(also check out http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5280115#5280115 for help on how to deal with modulename+offset notations)

tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
game.exe+02D86394 is a static address

Dark Byte wrote:

(also check out http//forum.cheatengineorg/viewtopic.php?p=5280115#5280115 for help on how to deal with modulename+offset notations)

Thank you. But, will I have to add the base and the offset of game.exe+02D86394 in order to get this static address to drop the P-> symbol?

So, I was able to find the base address of "game.exe", which ended up being 673A0000. I added the offset 02D86394 in HEX and I got a 4 byte value of 152383520 when i added the address. Do I just continue down adding all the offsets?

It didn't give me the non-P-> address after I got the base and added it. Perhaps I am not understanding something?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this time game.exe is at 673A0000 (that will change each time the game runs, but is easily looked up) , so 673A0000+02D86394 = 6A126394

Read the 4 byte at 6a126394
add to that value 0xd4
read the 4 byte value at the address that value makes up
add to that value 0x1a4
add to that value 0x9c
add to that value 0x8 and that value will represent the address you are interested in

And that address will stay the same until you do something in the game that makes it change (e.g map change, restart the game, walk over a border, load a game, get killed, a timed garbage collection, etc...)
So always do this lookup before reading/writing

tdr2012
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
so this time game.exe is at 673A0000 (that will change each time the game runs, but is easily looked up) , so 673A0000+02D86394 = 6A126394

Read the 4 byte at 6a126394
add to that value 0xd4
add to that value 0x1a4
add to that value 0x9c
add to that value 0x8 and that value will represent the address you are interested in

And that address will stay the same until you do something in the game that makes it change (e.g map change, restart the game, walk over a border, load a game, get killed, a timed garbage collection, etc...)
So always do this lookup before reading/writing

Thanks! It makes sense now. I was able to pull out the static address out of the P-> =D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: