Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CheatEngine - Mono 'cannot launch' & Pointers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatschi
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: CheatEngine - Mono 'cannot launch' & Pointers Reply with quote

Hey,

sometimes I'm getting a messagebox while trying to activate mono features that it cannot be launched. However when I try it again it was successful. No idea why it fails for the first times.

Another thing I've noticed is the dissect structure point once mono features are active. It labels correctly but it stopped labeling when you follow pointers in the structure dissect. I hope you get what I mean.
//edit: It also stops labeling when mono features are activated. Sometimes and when I click on "Dissect mono" it says error in the mono lua file something about a NIL value. When clicking it again it successfully dissected mono. Very weird.

Code:
Error:... Files (x86)\Cheat Engine 6.4\autorun\monoscript.lua:1042: attempt to get length of local 'domains' (a nil value)

I'm using CE 6.4 and both addons from the main website.
The process of the game is 32 bit.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your system is slow or the target is suspended when you try? If the game doesn't respond within 5 seconds it assumes it has failed

Also, labeling and other features stop when you have breakpoints set

for following pointers, I may add that next version. For now just try creating a new structure and give it the specific address

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Hatschi
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system is pretty much fast (Intel i7-4960x, 64GB Ram, Geforce Titan). I don't think that will be the reason. The target is paused yes but not the process itself. It is using the unity engine and these games are pausing itself when you tab out. However it wouldn't explain why activating mono works (sometimes).

About the pointers, yeah that's what I have tried already but if you create a new structure, CE set the name of the structure to "int32()" and it's empty when it's created. It's definitely a pointer, but sadly this suggestion doesn't work.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, you could check the lua script and add some prints to see why it goes wrong the first time, or actually step through the attach code (6.4 has lua single stepping/var inspecting)

As for the structure i'm not sure. In this case I guess you can not rely on ce's autoguess and actually input the entries manually with insert.
This is a pointer to an int32 class ( https://github.com/mono/mono/blob/master/mcs/class/corlib/System/Int32.cs )

I expect mono to have it have an vtable entry followed by the m_value, but it won't surprise me if this is optimized to just the m_value only (ah yes, it's not a class but a struct. I guess that's what's messing it up)

Hatschi
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that worked. Another thing you mentioned it stopped working when a bp has been set, good to know btw thanks, can we get a hotkey to 're-enable' the features or perhaps it enables itself again automatically after all BP are deleted? That would save some time. Not very important though.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It enables when all breakpoints are disabled and the target is executing normally

The reason for this behaviour is that ce asks the game to get the name of the address you're looking at
If a breakpoint would occur right after ce put in the request it'd deadlock since the breakpoint would never continue till the request was done which would be waiting for the breakpoint to continue

Hatschi
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm very strange because I need to enable it manually after a BP in order to see all the labels again.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure all breakpoints are actually gone and the game is running. (e.g run at least 10 seconds after deleting the last breakpoint)

easiest way to test: As long as lua function debug_canBreak() return true, mono should not look up labels, but if it's false it should work

Hatschi
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you were right, the bp take a bit until they are completely deleted. By the way would it be possible to add a 'time out' for the memory dissect on mono ?

If you have mono activated and enter an address which is not mono related in tothe structure dissect address field and create a new structure CE completely freezes (as it possible try to resolve the address in mono which isnt possible) and I need to shut down CE and the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: