Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CE and Windows 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zann0
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: CE and Windows 8 Reply with quote

HI.
I have a pack of Heroes3+SoD+AB+WOG which I got years ago. I hacked stuff like numbers of monsters, resources, movement points etc easly. They are 4 bytes. But recently I moved to windows 8(preinstaled) and when I tried to do the same it didn't work. Sure I found adresses but freeze didn't work. Right now I want to test it in Virtual Machine on XP but anyone have an Idea what could be the cause.
tldr
1 HOMM3 hacked easly on winXP winVista
2 moved to win8 Hacks don't work but adresses found (freeze not working for anything )
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you change the values of the addresses ? Do they change or stay the same? Does the change have an effect in the game ?

try turning off fastscan and checking mem_mapped in the scan settings

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
zann0
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no in-game values stay the same even if I freeze or change them. But I'll check if fast search and mem_mapped
zann0
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for units number but Im still trying to hack movement points
smaudet
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would be interested in the fix as well, but that sound about right - modern Windows OS come with mem randomization turned on - I'd make sure you turn off all such security until you know how to get around it. As you're just making a local hack its probably ok to turn off for a bit, just disconnect from the internet while you do so.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory randomization only is an issue for finding the value if you close the game between scans
What it does is when a block of memory is allocated it allocates it at a random location instead of a predictable always increasing address.

For memory scanning it has no effect and pointers to those blocks of memory still need a static address which is what the modulename is for. So even if the module is located at a random location ,with the modulename we can ask windows where it has put it and go from there

In this case of heroes 3 and 4 (which are old games) the topic starter just has some issues finding shat he needs. Perhaps because he downloaded the latest version of those games, instead of the one he had previously installed on xp.
E.g.i think to recall that one of the later patches(or game not sure) added an xor key to resources
---
The version difference is also another common complaint assuming it's due to windows 8
XP for example can't run the latest builds of browsers, which have added some extra security like sandboxing. So when they update to win8 and download the browser they get the latest build (the download page offers you the best version based on the OS string your browser sends it so you might not even notice it)
And then they find they can't cheat the exact same way as in win xp
E.g aobscans for swf memory will fail by default because the newer browsers store the swf in mem_mapped memory (shared memory)
So, to fix that the user first has to enable mem_mapped scanning which ce skips by default
And of course, target the correct process

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: