Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fullscreen game that cannot alt-tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheat_me
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Fullscreen game that cannot alt-tab Reply with quote

I have an old game (year 2000) that works on windows xp/7 fine, except when you alt-tab it, it crashes. So I can't access CE locally, i need to control CE through network while it is in background.

First of all I opened CE on the 1st machine, and tried to launch the game pressing "create process" in CE. When the game launches CE puts breakpoint on the first instruction, and stops. When I press "Run" I get display glitches in game, because it doesn't like to be interrupted by the debugger. Is it possible to disable "Break on entry" in CE ?
Second, I didn't manage to connect to CE through network. Does CE listens for incoming connections, or I need to download additional files? I found that there is source code of some server >> forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=175782
but are there any compiled windows binaries? Am I looking to the right place even?
abystus
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try an application such as DxWnd or 3D Analyze to take the game out of full screen mode. Once you have the game in a windowed state, you should be able to attach cheat engine without any issues. Take note that some games may not work with this method, but I've only run across a few that gave me issues. What is the name of the game btw?
mgr.inz.Player
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try "popup/hide" feature:

I usually use something like "CTRL+BREAK" (ctrl key and pause key)

If this still crash the game, maybe you can set another hotkey for "pause the selected process" (I'm using CTRL+ALT+BREAK). For some games it work, for others it doesn't.

Also, you can try to create another account with admin rights and install Team Viewer (or RDP), set it to launch automatically, full access, and set strong password. Switch to previous account, launch game.

On other PC, connect via TeamViewer (or RDP) and launch CE.

EDIT:
about Team Viewer, I've just tried, it doesn't launch concurrent session.

So, the only option is RDP. If you don't have windows "server" edition, you need this patch:
http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2009/04/universal-termsrvdll-patch.html

So, create another account with admin rights, lets call that user "CheatEngineUser". Log-in and log-out, so windows will create home directory for this user.

Patch termsrv.dll, if you have to. And restart PC.

Enable "Remote Desktop"

On your normal account, launch game

On other PC, use "Remote Desktop Connection", type first computer IP, log-in as CheatEngineUser, launch CheatEngine, attach to game process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: