Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheat Engine 64-bit Exiting on Startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juntalis
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Cheat Engine 64-bit Exiting on Startup Reply with quote

So I started running into an issue this afternoon where I attempted to start Cheat Engine, (through either a table or the shortcut) the application would fail to launch without an error or any sort of visual confirmation that something was happening. (It's exiting to a 0) Once I confirmed that the issue only affected the 64-bit version, I started thinking that it might be an issue with the latest source revision, and so I reverted my local repo and rebuilt. Unfortunately, even after rolling the source back to early June, I still experienced the problem. At some point during the rebuilds, I also reset my registry settings to see if that would change anything. (it didn't) Lastly, I tried installing the official release, but the same issue occurred even with that copy.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone else had run into a similar issue before I spent any more time troubleshooting the issue.

Only thing I can think of that might've affected Cheat Engine is a recent installation of the KB2588507 hotfix. Since it's addressing 32-bit applications, however, it doesn't seem likely.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the official 6.4 build also fails to run? (6.3 has an issue with 64 bit)
Try compiling the debug-no treading build and see if that works better

And make sure you have no games running when you start ce
Also check your anti virus. Perhaps it's protecting you without telling

And the fpc build you use is fpc 2.7.1 revision 27759 ?
Other revisions may not work properly on 64 bit

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
juntalis
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, but it seems to be working now. I ended up wiping my previous installation completely and reinstalling the official release. (In my first attempt, I just overlayed my old installation folder with the official binaries) When I found that that successfully fixed the problem, I tried temporarily swapping in a set of freshly built CE binaries and sure enough, the problem reappeared. Up until now, I had been successfully using FPC 2.6.2 to build the project, but it looks like that won't work anymore, so I'm currently using your "fpcup" route to set up the proper version.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpc 2.6.* generates code that doesn't deal with errors and exceptions caused by injected dll's in 64 bit (e.g. shell extentions). This has been fixed in fpc, but no official release yet, which is why i had to use the experimental build

Another option would be getting rid of all tools that inject dll's into ce

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: