Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about making a trainer for a roguelike game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asmodean
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Questions about making a trainer for a roguelike game Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've been using cheat engine to play around with memory values for a certain roguelike game but I came to realize that the vast majority of the most important things in this game have the same memory addresses all the time, irrespective of game versions, save files etc.
I thought then: why not just make a trainer instead of all the manual crap with loading cheat tables, selecting addresses, manually changing values and so on?
So I tried using the built-in trainer generator but it doesn't exactly suit my needs (unless I'm just a noob and don't know something).

All of the values that I change are based on user input, have variable values (some between 1-99, some from 0 to dozens of millions) and require knowledge of the game to not exceed certain limits.
This pretty much means I don't use any hotkeys at all.
The game already uses almost all combinations of keys in its GUI (many ctrl/alt/shift+key combos) and I don't need to add another one, much less 30 new combinations or so.
I'm running it in a small window and the trainer would be constantly used to change a value every couple of seconds, see the response, change again, rinse and repeat.
I am not interested in increasing or decreasing by a fixed amount since I can't predict by how many points I may need to change a selected value.
As for freezing, some values have to be frozen and then changed, otherwise the game changes them back. So again, user input is necessary but a "freeze" button would be very welcome.

I want to be able to arbitrarily change values to lower or higher than the actual, by a single digit or occasionally by tens or millions, see how the game reacts to that and change them again.
This is what I'm doing right now with the cheat tables and a large list of values.
The game can take a lot of punishment in this department before crashing.
However, there is no option in the trainer generator to input user value, at least it's not immediately noticeable.
It would also be nice if next to the user input box, I had a set of buttons for "fine-tuning", i.e. increase/decrease by one, but this isn't really necessary.

Is something like this possible without getting into detail with the lua language?
It feels kind of counter-productive to learn a whole scripting language just to make a trainer to modify ~30 values in a single game.

Any advice?
Rydian
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used the advanced options for trainer creation one of the new windows will be like, the properties of whatever you selected. So you can select one of the cheats and then there's options in there to turn on toggleable checkmarks and editable item sections.

But the trainer maker is pretty unstable and buggy, so if it will need updates later you might as well just give people the table and save hours of trouble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: