Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can't money be added when using cheat engine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soysuva
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Why can't money be added when using cheat engine? Reply with quote

Why can't money be added when using cheat engine? I tried adding money to Wizard 101 and Township (Facebook game), but every time the pages or the game refreshes, the money is gone. Sad

-DB Game-
My money = 100
Renan
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value is probably server sided. This is an online game, I think.

Not sure.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain.
I have just set your money in "DB Game" to 100

Now you can edit your post and change your money to something higher, but since i know I have set your money to 100 it doesn't matter what you change it to. I know it's 100

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
soysuva
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Renan
yes, they are both online games

@Dark Byte
what does DB stand for?

Another question, will cheat engine only work for PC games that are not online? example: multiplayer games over internet (club penguin)
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

What's an online game?
Rectangle
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soysuva wrote:
will cheat engine only work for PC games that are not online? example: multiplayer games over internet (club penguin)

I think you're missing the point here...
Online games are usually split into 2 parts:
  • Server (which is a computer located elsewhere in the world)
  • Client (which is any computer that connects to the server)

Once a client application connects to a server application, they typically take turns sending and receiving data to/from eachother, using a language specification which is uniquely for those applications.
The client app would, for example, tell the server "Player #1 clicked here and wishes to move to x/y coordinate" and the server would respond with something like "I suppose I can allow that to happen."
So you see... the game you are playing is actually on another computer, and you are just using an application on your computer which gives you a graphical representation of what that game's current state is.

Long story short, cheat engine cannot modify data that does not exist in your computer's memory to begin with.
So you can try to modify something, but if the data isn't stored in the client application then the best you're gonna get is making the client look like you were able to modify something.
As far as elements of a game (which require real life $$$) goes, the developers probably decided for this data to be server-side. Make sense?
Mohsen
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rectangle wrote:

Online games are usually split into 2 parts:
  • Server (which is a computer located elsewhere in the world)
  • Client (which is any computer that connects to the server)

Usually or always ?

Rectangle wrote:
cheat engine cannot modify data that does not exist in your computer's memory

Cheat engine cannot DIRECTLY modify data that does not exist in your computer memory.
Rectangle
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohsen wrote:
Usually or always ?
Yes, usually. Networking has been around since the early '40s. The client-server model didn't exist until the '70s.
It isn't the only architecture used in games (nor the only protocol), and there's always developers with the urge to create something new.
That being said, there's been plenty of bad designs & programming out there as well... and not everyone learns from their mistakes so easily.

Mohsen wrote:
Cheat engine cannot DIRECTLY modify data that does not exist in your computer memory.
I don't see your point here, or how it is relevant to what I was doing for the OP.
Mohsen
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rectangle wrote:
Mohsen wrote:
Usually or always ?

It isn't the only architecture used in games.

I don't see your point here, or how it is relevant to what I was doing for the OP.

I'm very interested if you can name only one _online_ game which isn't using client-server model ? If you can name any ?

The point was to let you know you can change server memory with cheat engine, if you didn't know it.
Rectangle
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohsen wrote:
I'm very interested if you can name only one _online_ game which isn't using client-server model ? If you can name any ?

The point was to let you know you can change server memory with cheat engine, if you didn't know it.

So basically, you're asking me to prove my knowledge to you and not to the OP.
Unfortunately, that's not what I came here for and I'm too old to care for online superiority complexes. Sorry.
You can hold your debates with google if you truly wish to know, but I'm not going to sit here and throw gas on the fire for you.
Mohsen
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ask to prove anything and I really don't know why you thought like that and wrote that much while you could simply name it with 3-4 words. I'm studying computer science in university for last year.
I have developed some small games with UDK, and even wrote my own game engine.
I was just interested to know if there is any online game which isn't using client-server model.
There is no game networking architecture other than client-server model.

After all, the OP has not respond for a long period of time and since this is a forum I can share my thoughts just like anyone else can.
jucce
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mohsen wrote:
I didn't ask to prove anything and I really don't know why you thought like that and wrote that much while you could simply name it with 3-4 words. I'm studying computer science in university for last year.
I have developed some small games with UDK, and even wrote my own game engine.
I was just interested to know if there is any online game which isn't using client-server model.
There is no game networking architecture other than client-server model.

After all, the OP has not respond for a long period of time and since this is a forum I can share my thoughts just like anyone else can.
Take a look at this for example:
gamasutra. com/view/feature/ 131503/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php?page=3
Especially figure 7.
Rectangle
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I've just been doing this crap for over 15 years and 90% of the time, the words you chose rarely lead to any sort of mature discussion.

So for starters... peer-to-peer games, certain ipx games, serial games, most bluetooth games, and any serverless games.
Even some client-server models store client-side variables which should be kept server-side.
And some games use mixed models where the clients also communicate with eachother (for example, most xbox live games), sometimes allowing for certain exploits.
And you can even do some packet sniffing to pick up on the lingo in a solid client-server implementation, and find that by sending the right sequence of bytes, the server itself has faulty security checks or can be bypassed.

It's like I said before:
Rectangle wrote:
there's been plenty of bad designs & programming out there as well... and not everyone learns from their mistakes so easily.

jucce wrote:
Take a look at this for example:
gamasutra. com/view/feature/ 131503/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php?page=3

Haha, I just read that a couple weeks back. There's also some good reference on GDC, and if you are able to obtain the original Quake source you'll find some flaws in there as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: