Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer scan is not working for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitmetwice
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Pointer scan is not working for me Reply with quote

Searching for a pointer using the manual mehtod is no problem. It works fine (unless there are too many levels, because I keep getting into loops).
But the pointer scanner is not working the way it works for others. I read this guide:
modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21745-Cheatengine-pointer-Scan-tutorial
and also watched some youtube tutorials. This one for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJdV1Vfvv0

In the videotutorials these guys have only ONE single pointer left after scanning about four times.
For me the number of pointers is only decreasing by ~100 per scan:
Win7 Minesweeper:
-first scan: 70000
-20 scans later: still over 60000
The game from the youtubevideo above "assault cube":
-first scan: 22563427
-second scan: 22562672
-third scan: 22562031
Cheatengine Tutorial tool (step2):
-first scan: 145699203
-second: 13858584
-third: 13644803

I'm doing the pointerscan exactly how they do it in the videos.
Especially for AssaultCube.
Also I know that the pointer of the Cheatengine Tutorial tool (step2) has 2 levels (one offset means 2 lvls right?).

I don't want to restart my PC for the pointerscanner. I don't even think that it would solve the problem.
So however, I wanna know why everyone can get their pointer without any trouble??

Btw I'm using Win7 Ultimate x86 and I didn't cahnge any settings in CE, I used the default settings.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not uncommon to have to scan 20+ times for multilevel pointers. The tutorials/videos that you'll find will probably scan simple games for the sake of reducing the amount of time/work involved. You just have to keep at it. Sometimes, moving around in the game a bit, between each scan, can help. Be sure to close out the game if your results are only decreasing by small amounts. If that doesn't work, only then would you try rebooting your computer and/or scanning from a different machine, altogether.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of results don't mean much.
As long as the pointer is correct it's usable
Doing a rescan on another computer tends to have the best effect.
13644803 isn't too big which if compressed is small enough to quickly transfer to another system

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
hitmetwice
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the exact same game the guy in the tutorial is using "AssaultCube" and I'm of course restarting the game before rescanning.
If I'd reboot for every pointer it would probably take multiple years to get all the pointers I want to have.

I think that something is wrong with my CE or PC. The guy in the video needed like 4 scans to get his address. I recanned 20 times, starting with ~22563427 ending with ~22500000. This is ridiculous.
Why would I have to restart my PC while others can simply do it with gamerestarts? I mean seriously, is that possible? My pointercount should at least decrease faster. Right now it looks like:
guy in the video needs: 4rescans
i would need: 10000rescans

edit: I'd really like to work on a big project, but I only have one PC and I can't just restart my PC because I am working with the PC and I have about 20 worddocuments open. Until I finished working on them which is mostly in the evening I don't want to restart my PC because it would take hours to find the documents again. Wink
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the guy in the video may have had the correct pointer on his first scan...offset 0 and offset F4. As Dark Byte mentioned, it doesn't matter how many results you have, as long as you have a working, reliable pointer.
hitmetwice
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I could simply pick the first pointer from the pointerscan results?
Shouldn't there only be ONE correct pointer? Or are there actually 22mio working pointers?
How do I know if the pointer is relyable?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple paths to the same destination yes. See the pointerscanner like a routeplanner where each offset is a street you go in from the current road. Some streets link up again and lead to the destination you need

The thing is that sometimes a roads destination changes, or is completely blocked. Use rescan to filter out those paths.
Eventually you will be left with enough pointers that stay correct most of the time, and then just pick one

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

hitmetwice wrote:
So I could simply pick the first pointer from the pointerscan results?
Sometimes.

hitmetwice wrote:
Shouldn't there only be ONE correct pointer?
Only one pointer that will work? Rarely.

hitmetwice wrote:
Or are there actually 22mio working pointers?
That's a lot, but every game is different. You just have to test.

hitmetwice wrote:
How do I know if the pointer is relyable?
Test it. Add it to your table and play the game. Close the game and reopen the game. Eventually, you will know if the pointer is reliable or not because it will always work (or not).
hitmetwice
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. Smile
But there is one problem. I heared that games have mostly one important pointer for each unit/plyaer in which all informations like "Health", "Max Health", "Ammo", "Position X", "Armor" etc are stored in.
For example:
0x57C310 with offset 0x458 is the Health
0x57C310 with offset 0xC4 is the Armor
etc

Are there any tricks to get these kind of pointers?

edit:
Say I have no idea how many levels my pointer has. Would it be smart to start scanning with maxLvls=1 then maxLvls=2 etc?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Your example isn't really a special thing/different pointer

E.g if Armor was stored at address 123450c4 then Health is stored at 123450458

By doing a dissect structure at offset 0 (12345000) you can get a list of elements that are in that region. And you will often find related elements grouped with eachother. (e.g health and maxhealth are often stored right next to eachother, and armor is usually not far away)

If you don't know how many levels your pointer has then do the maximum amount of levels your system can handle without taking too long (longer than 2 days)
Doing a low level is just a waste as the higher levels will find all the results of the lower levels on top of their own

hitmetwice
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you soo much Dark Byte and GNIREENIGNE. Smile You saved my life. Wink
jgizle
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
The number of results don't mean much.
As long as the pointer is correct it's usable
Doing a rescan on another computer tends to have the best effect.
13644803 isn't too big which if compressed is small enough to quickly transfer to another system

I did about 8 rescans on a game restarting the game in between and got the amount of possible pointers down to 1530. To reduce it even more i heard restarting your pc is the best option if i don't have multiple pcs. upon doing so and doing another rescan my results dropped from 1530 to 0 . . . .

++METHOS wrote:
Test it. Add it to your table and play the game. Close the game and reopen the game. Eventually, you will know if the pointer is reliable or not because it will always work (or not).

I have a pointer for a game I am playing right now that only works about 70% of the time. Switching characters for example ruins the pointer completely. On the other hand if you completely exit the game, open game, log onto that alternate character and then attach CE the pointer magically works correctly. Of course some time you do this and the pointer points to something its not supposed to. For example if I originally made the pointer to find strength, it might occasionally point to mana for example.

My pointer scanner doesn't show that there are any pointers with more than 5 offsets, and i can not reduce the amount of pointers lower than 1335. I don't know what to do to get a pointer than works 100% all the time even if I switch characters. Maybe it's just the way the game works or something?
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to consider...

1. Is the game online?
2. Are you running an emulator or similar virtual environment?
3. Have you made any adjustments to your pointer scanner settings (max offset value and levels etc.)?

Sometimes, you just need to write a script. You can have the instruction give you the address that you need, every time...and even if the code shifts, you can incorporate AOB to find the instruction.
jgizle
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. no
2. no
3. no

I can make a video but i don't know if i can post links yet.

every pointer in my pointer scan results (1335 total) says

"THREADSTACK1"-00000xxx" as the base address and then different offsets which all happen to lead to my stats value within 5 offsets.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 1335 is way to little. That should already say there is something wrong (at least a million left after multiple rescans and reboots is best)

Quote:
My pointer scanner doesn't show that there are any pointers with more than 5 offsets

That is because the default option is max level 5. It won't look any further
Try a bigger structure and/or level (and you're sure the address you rescanned for was correct?)
Also, how about a code injection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: