Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My computer.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
compactwater
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: My computer. Reply with quote

I'm sure you care in some way to know and understand how horrible my computer is. Also, you get to hear a story of my computer's growth.

When I first found my computer, it was in my garage, missing a mouse and keyboard, and had no internet access. It also had a copy of windows 98 on a 60 GB somewhat-old HDD, and a really old 20 GB HDD that ran slow as... constipated mules.

And so, I ventured further and found a keyboard, as well as a mouse, which originally belonged to a printer (don't ask, because I don't know). After that, I got "accustomed" to the slow slowness of the Intel Pentium III processor (Clocks at 130MHz), and about 256 MB of RAM, barely. I only used it for School, practicing HTML, and Music.

Awhile later, a figured out (one) of the reasons the computer was so slow, it had an 8 MB graphics card, when I had believed it was 16. So I swapped it out for the 16 MB one. I noticed less crashes, and less severe hangs. Sometimes it seemed as if all it wanted to do was give me the BSOD.

Then one magical day, my friend's computer broke. He gave it to me, and to my luck there was a 64 MB GeForce MX 440 in it (much better than 16). He let me keep that one after I had fixed his computer (the start jumper was unplugged on the inside somehow), because he already had a newer 128 MB graphics card. Also, there was some RAM compatible with my computer, got it up to 448 MB.

And so now, my computer has 448 MB RAM, 64 MB Graphics Card- and no Internet. So I got a wireless connection. I stole internet from my neighbors until I could get a wireless router. For awhile everything was going fine, I installed Windows 2000, juuuust fiiine.

Then I find out I have some sort of advanced sound card. The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy with EAX sound thingy. It's supposed to be good, so I searched for days for the installation disk for the drivers, and finally find and install them. It also comes with some media player- not that great but it's something.

Sometime later I ran a compatibility test for my computer for running Windows XP, and just about everything comes up negative. Being as I was, I decided to try it anyways. So I went off and got Windows XP installed on the computer, which for some reason killed my 20 GB slow HDD, so I tossed it in the garage. So now all this is finished, and I find out Windows XP screwed the partitioning table on my good 60 GB HDD, and allocated 30 GB to something other than NTFS that I cannot access, and since then have not been able to fix.

So I installed Ubuntu (Linux) on the unknown partition, it formatted the partition and ran fine, but then killed Windows XP- it would no longer run. So I then, AGAIN, formatted the NTFS partition and re-installed Windows XP, only to find out that now Linux no longer works. About this time I completely gave up on reasoning with my HDD- and this is where I am today.

Because I know almost none of you actually read that
Question:
Is there any way to format my HDD completely, or remove the unknown partition that is not recognized by anything (hopefully) without changing my current installation of windows?
SF
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way that you can delete the unknown partition, DOS commands.

Google or something and find out how to boot to DOS, and find the commands to view and manage the partitions, I did it an IT class in school but have completely forgotten, long story though.

Edit: Adding to it, we used floppy disks in class to boot to DOS, and I found this on Google about DOS and WinXP.

http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/16218.html

From that, I'm not quite sure that XP has DOS, but since it's not really my computer, I don't feel like doing more searching unless needed.

Also, MS-DOS is it's actual name, I just hate typing the "-".

Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux and windows use different formatting so one will kill the other you need seperate partitions for them, I know that much about it and that is all,

get hold of partition magic and install it into windows, also get your 20 gig and try it on that as well,

SF
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U wrote:
linux and windows use different formatting so one will kill the other you need seperate partitions for them, I know that much about it and that is all,

get hold of partition magic and install it into windows, also get your 20 gig and try it on that as well,

Said he threw his 20GB away, but HDs are not too expensive.

One last thing..

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chdos.htm#04

That may help, but I think the guy thinks that cmd prompt is MS-DOS for XP..

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U wrote:

You misunderstand, the 60 GB HDD was split into two 30 GB parts, one NTFS, the other unknown and completely undetectable by Windows, so they are on different partitions.

@SaviourFamily:
I'll look into that now. Smile
U
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again
partitition magic may be able recover that portion of the hard drive,
when windows dont recognise a chunk of hard drive chances are its not formatted, formatted in an alien format, or is bad memory,

the fact its nicely cut into two 30 gig parts means its likely its not recognising the linux format of that part of the drive,

having to guess half of this as i have not seen your pc,
but get hold of the Pmagic and that should recognise both formats and unformatted parts of the drive,

well I leave it to you

Cheetah
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partition Magic will help you delete both partitions if that's what you're looking for.
atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this happened because the order you installed and what you installed with Ubuntu. Your last paragraph:

Quote:
So I installed Ubuntu (Linux) on the unknown partition, it formatted the partition and ran fine, but then killed Windows XP- it would no longer run. So I then, AGAIN, formatted the NTFS partition and re-installed Windows XP, only to find out that now Linux no longer works. About this time I completely gave up on reasoning with my HDD- and this is where I am today.

That makes it sound like you fucked up the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the drive causing it to not detect any valid OS to boot to. I would say create a recovery disk and fix the MBR.

You can attempt to fix it using FDISK or a similar tool.

Just a suggestion.

Jani
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiccaan wrote:
You can attempt to fix it using FDISK or a similar tool.
Excellent piece of software: http://www.ranish.com/part/ . Just remove any ext2/ext3/swap partitions and you're done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: